Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Help installing KeePassX v2 on SL 7.2
SylvanusTrinidad
 Posted: May 30 2016, 07:27 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3703

I'm eager to get a workstation set up under SL 7.2. I (eventually) got it installed successfully, but I can use this new workstation for exactly zilch until I install KeePassX on it, which I can't seem to do.

For reference, I have a fair amount of experience with Debian-type Linux, but this is my very first introduction to anything Red Hat, and there are lots of unfamiliar things that are stumping me.

For example, I'm used to being able to apt-get install pretty much anything. On this new workstation,
CODE
$ yum search keepassx
Loaded plugins: langpacks
Warning: No matches found for: keepassx
No matches found

This means that keepassx is not available in the standard repository, correct?

Now I'm unsure of what to do. From researching, it seems like the next step is to find KeePassX in the third-party repositories. Is there an easy way to find out which, if any, other repositories have KeePassX v2 packages? Also, from browsing this forum and other sites, it seems like using additional repos is dangerous. Is there any other alternative?

I've found this guide: http://scientificlinuxforum.org/index.php?&act=ST&f=6&t=1603 on this forum for installing KeePassX 0.4 on SL 6, but I don't understand it, and when I try to research it, I can't find any information that helps me understand what the author is doing.

Is anyone willing to walk me through installing KeePassX v2 on SL 7.2? I would greatly appreciate it.
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: May 30 2016, 08:20 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 953

QUOTE (SylvanusTrinidad @ May 30 2016, 08:27 PM)
I'm eager to get a workstation set up under SL 7.2.  I (eventually) got it installed successfully, but I can use this new workstation for exactly zilch until I install KeePassX on it, which I can't seem to do.

For reference, I have a fair amount of experience with Debian-type Linux, but this is my very first introduction to anything Red Hat, and there are lots of unfamiliar things that are stumping me.

For example, I'm used to being able to apt-get install pretty much anything.  On this new workstation,
CODE
$ yum search keepassx
Loaded plugins: langpacks
Warning: No matches found for: keepassx
No matches found

This means that keepassx is not available in the standard repository, correct?

Now I'm unsure of what to do.  From researching, it seems like the next step is to find KeePassX in the third-party repositories.  Is there an easy way to find out which, if any, other repositories have KeePassX v2 packages?  Also, from browsing this forum and other sites, it seems like using additional repos is dangerous.  Is there any other alternative?

I've found this guide: http://scientificlinuxforum.org/index.php?&act=ST&f=6&t=1603 on this forum for installing KeePassX 0.4 on SL 6, but I don't understand it, and when I try to research it, I can't find any information that helps me understand what the author is doing.

Is anyone willing to walk me through installing KeePassX v2 on SL 7.2?  I would greatly appreciate it.

Just like you you have sources.list in debian based distros you have repositories in scientificlinux/redhat/centos located in /etc/yum.repos.d/ You can add third party repos for extra packages, be sure to read this post. Keepassx is not in the default repo that is why yum can't find it. EPELis a well known third party repo maintained by redhat, if you add that repo you can just do "yum install keepassx" and it will intall. Hmm overread the version you are looking for, might be another third party repo containing the v2 version, will have to look around myself. Another option is to run it via mono. They have a yum repo too for Rhel clones.

Yum as two plugins that help you work with third party repos: protectbase and yum priorites. Basically they both have a way of protecting your Base repo, protecting or giving your base repo a higher priority when using yum to install a package. Third party repos are used at your own risk wink.gif Most third party repos have mailing list where you can ask for help about a package in their repo.

Hope that helps wink.gif

This post has been edited by inittux: May 30 2016, 09:37 PM

--------------------
PM
^
SylvanusTrinidad
 Posted: Jun 4 2016, 07:24 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (inittux @ May 30 2016, 08:20 PM)

Just like you  you have sources.list in debian based distros you have repositories in scientificlinux/redhat/centos located in /etc/yum.repos.d/ You can add third party repos for extra packages, be sure to read this post.  Keepassx is not in the default repo that is why yum can't find it. EPELis  a well known third party repo maintained by redhat, if you add that repo you can just do "yum install keepassx"  and it will intall. Hmm overread the version you are looking for, might be another third party repo containing the v2 version, will have to look around myself. Another option is to run it via mono. They have a yum repo too for Rhel clones.

Yum as two plugins that help you work with third party repos:  protectbase and yum priorites. Basically they both have a way of protecting your Base repo, protecting or giving your base repo a higher priority when using yum to install a package. Third party repos are used at your own risk wink.gif Most third party repos have mailing list where you can ask for help  about a package in their repo.

Hope that helps wink.gif

This is great help, thank you. It looks like I need to explore the third-party repos.

What's the best way to find them? Is there a comprehensive list somewhere? I read redman's post that you provided, but it's over five years old now, so I wonder if it's still reliable.

Once I find out what third-party repositories there are, is there a convenient way to search them, or do I just have to go through them one-by-one?
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Jun 4 2016, 07:36 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 224

QUOTE (SylvanusTrinidad @ Jun 4 2016, 09:24 PM)

Once I find out what third-party repositories there are, is there a convenient way to search them, or do I just have to go through them one-by-one?

http://pkgs.org/ wink.gif

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: Jun 4 2016, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

QUOTE (tux99 @ Jun 4 2016, 08:36 PM)

Your best option is still probably to run keepassx v2 via mono like they described in the keepass documentation. I haven't been able to find a third party repo with that version in it, unless you can live with an older version of keepassx wink.gif That list is still pretty current, but you can also check for a list of third party repos here.

--------------------
PM
^
SylvanusTrinidad
 Posted: Jun 5 2016, 06:40 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (tux99 @ Jun 4 2016, 07:36 PM)

Thank you! That seems handy, I'll bookmark it.

I notice that there are no sections for either Scientific Linux or RHEL. How do I know which repos are safe to use with SL 7.2? Will any CentOS or Fedora repo be okay?
PM
^
SylvanusTrinidad
 Posted: Jun 5 2016, 06:45 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (inittux @ Jun 4 2016, 07:41 PM)

Your best option is still probably to run keepassx v2 via mono like they described in the keepass documentation. I haven't been able to find a third party repo with that version in it, unless you can live with an older version of keepassx wink.gif  That list is still pretty current, but you can also check for a list of third party repos here.

I'm going to look into using mono when I get the chance to research it a little more. Thanks for the tip!

It seems clear that I'm going to have to get used to navigating 3rd-party repos if I want to use SL, though, so I'm interested in learning more generally how to search through the appropriate repositories as efficiently as possible. How do you do it?
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: Jun 6 2016, 12:15 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

QUOTE (SylvanusTrinidad @ Jun 5 2016, 07:45 PM)
QUOTE (inittux @ Jun 4 2016, 07:41 PM)

Your best option is still probably to run keepassx v2 via mono like they described in the keepass documentation. I haven't been able to find a third party repo with that version in it, unless you can live with an older version of keepassx wink.gif  That list is still pretty current, but you can also check for a list of third party repos here.

I'm going to look into using mono when I get the chance to research it a little more. Thanks for the tip!

It seems clear that I'm going to have to get used to navigating 3rd-party repos if I want to use SL, though, so I'm interested in learning more generally how to search through the appropriate repositories as efficiently as possible. How do you do it?

tux99 linked one earlier

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll