Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> How to install 3.12 kernel?, custom / compiled kernel
mihai119
 Posted: Nov 21 2013, 12:35 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 506

I want to install SL6.4 to an laptop (clone MSI) but I have some troubles because the default kernel don't work well with ssd (TRIM), and don't exists a driver for my Network Card, Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 13).
I understand the kernel 3.12 could give me both. There is a way to make a custom kernel (to install also kernel 3.12)?
PMEmail Poster
^
redman
 Posted: Nov 21 2013, 09:27 PM
Quote Post

Retired SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

RHEL6 (and thus also clones like SL6, CentOS 6, etc.) is based on technology from Fedora 12 and 13.
Newer kernels aren't available for EL6, except those you create yourself (read about it here) or the ones created by our friends at ELRepo (info here and here).

Of course this all will be your own responsibility wink.gif

--------------------
"Sometimes the best helping hand you can give is a good, firm push."
PM
^
burakkucat
 Posted: Nov 22 2013, 06:49 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 14

Just a quick note to say that if you need features which are not available from the distro kernel then I would recommend testing, first of all, the kernel-lt package.

Only if usage of that long-term support kernel fails to provide the required degree of support would I then suggest testing the kernel-ml package.

If neither of those kernel packages provide the degree of support that you expect, then either you have a very peculiar hardware configuration or there is some other underlying problem.

--------------------
user posted image 100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.
PMUsers Website
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll