Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Some more details about what's coming in RHEL7 and 6.5
tux99
 Posted: Jun 13 2013, 04:02 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 224

We spoke to Denise Dumas, director of software engineering at Red Hat Inc., who outlined some of the upcoming features to be discussed at her Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) Roadmap panel at the 2013 Red Hat Summit.

[...]

Denise Dumas: We introduced a classic mode [to Fedora 19] which, if you're comfortable with Gnome 2, you're going to find classic mode a no-brainer.

We think that people who are accustomed to Gnome 2 will use classic mode until they're ready to experiment with modern mode. Classic mode is going to be the default for RHEL 7, and we're in the final stages now. We're tweaking it and having people experiment with it. The last thing we want to do is disrupt our customers' workflows.

I think it's been hard for the Gnome guys, because they really, really love modern mode, because that's where their hearts are. But they've done a great job putting together classic mode for us, and I think it's going to keep people working on RHEL 5, 6 and 7 who don't want to retrain their fingers each time they switch operating systems -- I think classic mode's going to be really helpful for them.

[...]

Dumas: We had a direction pretty much in place for RHEL 7 at the last summit, but what we've done in the last year is a lot of examination of use cases. We've gone back and looked at the experiences people have had as they've tried to manage servers, and we've tried to look at the workflows and make sure that what we're doing meets their expectations.

A major thing we've tried to take a much more serious look at is update-in-place -- going for RHEL 6 to RHEL 7 without having to do a fresh install. That's something that customers have asked us for, and we're making a lot of progress in being able to support it.

[...]

There's been a ton of work done in virtualization and storage.

[...]

I think the software collections are going to be really interesting to anyone looking at a development environment. Our developer toolset got a big update as well so that's out in beta right now. That's our method for getting the latest C, C++ and Java available on our existing RHEL 6 platforms. I think that will be interesting for people. …

[...]

Looks like a lot of good news, I feel a lot more positive about RHEL7 now, my only doubt left is systemd.

Full article here:
http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.com/news/2240185580/Red-Hat-discloses-RHEL-roadmap

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
fqberful
 Posted: Jun 13 2013, 04:58 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Group: Members
Member No.: 1096

-------------------------
A major thing we've tried to take a much more serious look at is update-in-place -- going for RHEL 6 to RHEL 7 without having to do a fresh install. That's something that customers have asked us for, and we're making a lot of progress in being able to support it.
-------------------------

Bonus! They've been doing that with Fedora for a long time first with preupgrade then with fedup, it's about time it **finally** made it into RHEL.

Now like the OP said, systemd is a big question. After using it extensively with Fedora I can say I'd prefer it if they revert. While it does work and you can eventually learn to manage it with all of its oddities, it still isn't what I really like.

Also I'd like to point out that the new "installer" was a POS with F18 .. If that makes it to RHEL it will be a disaster. We'll see if they fixed stuff up when the F19 release hits [tentatively] next month.

PM
^
scottro
 Posted: Jun 14 2013, 04:18 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 49

RH keeps going Fedora's way, and I really think, that although they have the server market more or less locked up here in the US, at least, this constant enabling of desktop users is going to open the door for someone else--maybe Canonical, maybe someone we don't know yet.

Hopefully, enough paying customers said something about Gnome to make RH realize that they might lose customers if they let Gnome developers make their decisions.

As for systemd, as I've said elsewhere on these forums, I think the description I once read, of someone saying Poettering's code showed deep knowledge of C and absolutely no knowledge of system administration was probably on the money--though some of the C coders that I know say the code is pretty bad too, but that might just be their natural grouchiness.

PM
^
redman
 Posted: Jun 14 2013, 10:40 AM
Quote Post

Retired SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (tux99 @ Jun 13 2013, 06:02 PM)
... going for RHEL 6 to RHEL 7 without having to do a fresh install

Now that is good news http://th166.photobucket.com/albums/u117/rdshear/Smiley%20Faces/th_smiley-face-thumbs-up.gif

Hopefully they will be pushing the beta soon.
Can't wait to testdrive it wink.gif

Watch all the keynotes and some of the favorite sessions from the Summit 2013 here.

--------------------
"Sometimes the best helping hand you can give is a good, firm push."
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Jun 18 2013, 12:56 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 224

QUOTE (redman @ Jun 14 2013, 11:40 AM)

Hopefully they will be pushing the beta soon.
Can't wait to testdrive it  wink.gif

You have to be patient, the beta is only planned for the end of this year (I assume this means December):
Ronald Pacheco, Red Hat's Senior Manager of Technology Product Management at Red Hat, would only say at the Red Hat Summit in Boston that "The plans are to put out a beta at the end of the calendar year.
http://www.zdnet.com/red-hat-enterprise-linux-7-software-stack-still-under-wraps-7000016906/

Based on that I'd guess RHEL7 will be out in March/April 2014 and SL/Centos7 in a year from now (summer 2014).

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Jun 18 2013, 10:34 AM
Quote Post

Retired SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

I'm cool ... if they build it, it will come laugh.gif

Here is an overview of the presentations given at the Summit (some including PDF): link

--------------------
"Sometimes the best helping hand you can give is a good, firm push."
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll