Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> install of virtualbox 3.4
LMHmedchem
 Posted: Mar 6 2014, 03:10 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2886

I have just set up SL 6.5 and am working on getting Vbox going. I don't see anything on the Vbox site about SL. I'm not sure what fedora 6.5 corresponds to. It's too bad that something like Vbox isn't in the package manager for a distro like this.

Is there a current set of instructions to get Vbox going? This is a 64-bit install if that helps.

LMHmedchem
PMEmail Poster
^
U308
 Posted: Mar 6 2014, 07:09 AM
Quote Post

SLF Advocate

Member No.: 32

QUOTE (LMHmedchem @ Mar 6 2014, 05:10 AM)
I have just set up SL 6.5 and am working on getting Vbox going. I don't see anything on the Vbox site about SL. I'm not sure what fedora 6.5 corresponds to. It's too bad that something like Vbox isn't in the package manager for a distro like this.

Is there a current set of instructions to get Vbox going? This is a 64-bit install if that helps.

LMHmedchem

Download it HERE
(Look for this line:- Oracle Linux 6 ("OL6") / Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 ("RHEL6") / CentOS 6 i386 | AMD64 and pick according to your OS)

Thereafter download the extension pack HERE

(Look for this line:- VirtualBox 4.3.8 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack All supported platforms)

You can also add a repo (virtualbox.repo), but I have given up on that as my downloads always get cut off....

[virtualbox]
name=Oracle Linux / RHEL / CentOS-$releasever / $basearch - VirtualBox
baseurl=http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/rpm/el/$releasever/$basearch
enabled=1
priority=5
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc
PM
^
burakkucat
 Posted: Mar 6 2014, 12:43 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 14

There is a CentOS wiki page regarding the installation and usage of VirtualBox that is equally applicable to Scientific Linux --

Installing and using VirtualBox on CentOS

--------------------
user posted image 100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.
PMUsers Website
^
LMHmedchem
 Posted: Mar 6 2014, 05:41 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 2886

Thanks, that will be a big help. I have been hunting around for a replacement OS since giving up on it entirely on Ubuntu. I need native support for a number of things that aren't easy with Ubuntu any more and SL or CentOS are flavors that I am looking at.

Hopefully Vbox will set up easily and that will tick off one box.

LMHmedchem
PMEmail Poster
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll