Scientific Linux Forum.org

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Installing Multimedia Packages in SL6
joutlan
 Posted: Apr 8 2011, 08:54 PM
Quote Post

SLF Inceptor

Group: Admins
Member No.: 1

[note to Admin: repinned because we have nothing else, and secondly I'm always looking for it laugh.gif ]

I'm going to pin this as one of the first things a new linux user wants to do (and many old hacks too!) is get their multimedia apps up and running like Hulu, Music mp3's and m4a's, DVD Playback, etc. Following this will enable all that functionality. The package list was taken from "RHEL 6 Essentials", the remainder has been my experience with it. I have tested the repos in the next paragraph and have had NO conflicts with these particular packages. Make sure EPEL and RPMFusion-Free are turned off or you WILL have conflicts. A quick GUI way of enabling repos is by going to the "Software Sources" dropdown in "Add Remove Software" under the Administrative Menu.

First I install the following after enabling the following repos in addtion to the standard SL repos:

linuxtech
rpmfusion non-free

That's it!

CODE
#yum install ffmpeg libdvdcss libdvdread libdvdnav libdvdplay lsdvd vlc gxine

Then, install all the gstreamer plugins and other MM libraries.

CODE
#yum install gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-bad-extras gstreamer-plugins-bad-free-extras gstreamer-plugins-ugly libcdaudio w3m libx264 mjpegtools libsidplay libquicktime libkate automake autoconf jna gc libid3tag amrwb gstreamer-java-swt gstreamer-java gstreamer-ffmpeg gstreamer-vaapi eclipse-swt

Gstreamer-plugins-bad-extras will enable .m4a.

This should pretty much do it.....please comment if you run into any problems/conflicts.

After you do this, remember to return your repo settings to "stock".

NOTE: This procedure does NOT work with Springdale-PUIAS Linux because of slight package variations!

This *does* work with Oracle Unbreakable Linux 6.5. Be careful not to have EPEL enabled when you do this or you'll get package conflicts. Do a yum clean all beforehand.

This post has been edited by joutlan: Jan 31 2014, 09:38 AM

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
Nexus 4 //Android
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
thomei
 Posted: Apr 15 2011, 10:47 AM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Group: Members
Member No.: 38

Thanks for this guide,
but I sill prefer VLC. I don't use gstreamer or Gnome. So let's add how to install VLC:

1) Enable the rpmforge repo

2)
CODE
yum install vlc

This will enable all the music mp3's and m4a's, flv, DVD playback for VLC.

--------------------
thomei
think free, think Linux
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Apr 15 2011, 06:19 PM
Quote Post

SLF Inceptor

Thanks for following up with that. Normally I do the same thing. Mplayer seems to work very well with SL6 though, so I'm 50/50 on those 2 smile.gif

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
Nexus 4 //Android
^
redman
 Posted: Apr 15 2011, 06:22 PM
Quote Post

Retired SLF Administrator

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (thomei @ Apr 15 2011, 12:47 PM)
Thanks for this guide,
but I sill prefer VLC. I don't use gstreamer or Gnome. So let's add how to install VLC:

2)
CODE
yum install vlc

My idea too. Did it exactly the same.
Solved a lot of "codec" problems.

RPMforge is my friend laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
"Sometimes the best helping hand you can give is a good, firm push."
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Apr 15 2011, 06:30 PM
Quote Post

SLF Inceptor

QUOTE (thomei @ Apr 15 2011, 06:47 AM)
Thanks for this guide,

2)
CODE
yum install vlc

Thomei...I believe VLC will play M4a's, but not Rhythmbox for example. You'll need the other packages per above for that. That's one of the reasons, among others, I took the time to make the original post biggrin.gif

--------------------
Nexus 4 //Android
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Apr 19 2011, 08:47 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

Just a heads up for anyone installing VLC . VLC doesn't play well with the libmodplug from epel repos. If installing vlc and you have the epel repo installed you should add exclude=libmodplug to your /etc/yum.repo.d/epel.repo , and epel-testing.repo.

PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Apr 19 2011, 09:19 PM
Quote Post

SLF Inceptor

QUOTE (AndrewSerk @ Apr 19 2011, 04:47 PM)
Just a heads up for anyone installing VLC . VLC doesn't play well with the libmodplug from epel repos.  If installing vlc and you have the epel repo installed you should add exclude=libmodplug to your /etc/yum.repo.d/epel.repo , and epel-testing.repo.

That's exactly what I ran into. I did get around however, by uninstalling and reinstalling with the EPEL repos turned off. Sorry, it evades me right now exactly what did...I should have posted.

--------------------
Nexus 4 //Android
^
U308
 Posted: Apr 20 2011, 07:28 AM
Quote Post

SLF Advocate

Member No.: 32

So you can all watch Apple Trailers, Hmmm..

user posted image

PM
^
mikhail
 Posted: Apr 25 2011, 05:51 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Guests

--

gui way to do this pretty easy

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1838439&postcount=4

for there you can install vlc extra codecs or install yumex which another great gui fronted tool from there every thing so easy gui way to use

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=265473
^
joutlan
 Posted: May 5 2011, 02:59 AM
Quote Post

SLF Inceptor

QUOTE (mikhail @ Apr 25 2011, 01:51 PM)
gui way to do this pretty easy

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1838439&postcount=4

for there you can install vlc extra codecs or install yumex which another great gui fronted tool from there every thing so easy gui way to use

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=265473

Thanks mikhail....I signed up under this name over there at Wilder Security Forum. I lurked it a lot a few years ago, but made it official this time smile.gif

--------------------
Nexus 4 //Android
^
Raggs
 Posted: May 25 2011, 07:06 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 203

First I install the following after enabling all repos (that SL script available in package manager opens up):

what SL script?
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: May 25 2011, 07:37 PM
Quote Post

SLF Inceptor

QUOTE (Raggs @ May 25 2011, 03:06 PM)
First I install the following after enabling all repos (that SL script available in package manager opens up):

what SL script?

Go into Package Manager GUI and look under SL Addons....you'll see a YUM and repo configuration "package" there...that is it.

--------------------
Nexus 4 //Android
^
Glennzo
 Posted: Jun 9 2011, 10:49 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 45

I'm getting the following error with yum install bla bla bla
CODE
No package libx264 available.

What repo has this package?

--------------------
Glenn
Powered by Fedora 19

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1.5TB SATA / NVIDIA GT218 GeForce 8400 GS
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Jun 9 2011, 10:52 PM
Quote Post

SLF Inceptor

QUOTE (Glennzo @ Jun 9 2011, 06:49 PM)
I'm getting the following error with yum install bla bla bla
CODE
No package libx264 available.

What repo has this package?

Glennzo my good man.....are you following this post?

--------------------
Nexus 4 //Android
^
Glennzo
 Posted: Jun 9 2011, 11:28 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Ummmm.... No, this one huh.gif

--------------------
Glenn
Powered by Fedora 19

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1.5TB SATA / NVIDIA GT218 GeForce 8400 GS
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Jun 10 2011, 01:58 AM
Quote Post

SLF Inceptor

QUOTE (Glennzo @ Jun 9 2011, 07:28 PM)
Ummmm.... No, this one  huh.gif

http://fuzedglobal.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/facepalm.gif DUH on me. as described in this thread, libx264 should install without any problems. Do you have EPELs, RPMForge, ATRpms open while you are installing that? Do you have the Yum Configuration from SL installed which adds those repos for you? Check that out. mellow.gif Open package manager GUI, and look under SL addons. Excuse if you've done this....I've been VERY interrupted today on the laptop.

Sorry, I came straight to this post and didn't know we had this many posts in it, i.e. didn't recognize it even though I started it (reading the thread title helps too!).... laugh.gif

--------------------
Nexus 4 //Android
^
Glennzo
 Posted: Jun 10 2011, 07:09 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Caught you napping I guess tongue.gif

Here's the command I'm using at this point since this is the only package that won't install
[glenn@phenom-sl6 ~>$ sudo yum --enablerepo=* install libx264

And here are my yum repositories.
CODE
[glenn@phenom-sl6 ~>$ yum repolist all
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
repo id                                     repo name                                            status
atrpms                                      Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64 - ATrpms         disabled
atrpms-bleeding                             Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64 - ATrpms bleedin disabled
atrpms-bleeding-debuginfo                   Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64 - ATrpms bleedin disabled
atrpms-bleeding-source                      Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64 - ATrpms bleedin disabled
atrpms-debuginfo                            Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64 - ATrpms - Debug disabled
atrpms-source                               Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64 - ATrpms - Sourc disabled
atrpms-testing                              Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64 - ATrpms testing disabled
atrpms-testing-debuginfo                    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64 - ATrpms testing disabled
atrpms-testing-source                       Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64 - ATrpms testing disabled
elrepo                                      ELRepo.org Community Enterprise Linux Repository - e disabled
elrepo-kernel                               ELRepo.org Community Enterprise Linux Kernel Reposit disabled
elrepo-testing                              ELRepo.org Community Enterprise Linux Testing Reposi disabled
epel                                        Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64       enabled:   5,950+3
epel-debuginfo                              Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64 - Deb disabled
epel-source                                 Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64 - Sou disabled
epel-testing                                Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - Testing - x8 disabled
epel-testing-debuginfo                      Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - Testing - x8 disabled
epel-testing-source                         Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - Testing - x8 disabled
rpmforge                                    RHEL 6.0 - RPMforge.net - dag                        enabled:   3,812+1
rpmforge-extras                             RHEL 6.0 - RPMforge.net - extras                     disabled
rpmforge-testing                            RHEL 6.0 - RPMforge.net - testing                    disabled
rpmfusion-free-updates                      RPM Fusion for EL 6 - Free - Updates                 enabled:         0
rpmfusion-free-updates-debuginfo            RPM Fusion for EL 6 - Free - Updates Debug           disabled
rpmfusion-free-updates-source               RPM Fusion for EL 6 - Free - Updates Source          disabled
rpmfusion-free-updates-testing              RPM Fusion for EL 6 - Free - Test Updates            enabled:         6
rpmfusion-free-updates-testing-debuginfo    RPM Fusion for EL 6 - Free - Test Updates Debug      disabled
rpmfusion-free-updates-testing-source       RPM Fusion for EL 6 - Free - Test Updates Source     disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                   RPM Fusion for EL 6 - Nonfree - Updates              enabled:         0
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-debuginfo         RPM Fusion for EL 6 - Nonfree - Updates Debug        disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-source            RPM Fusion for EL 6 - Nonfree - Updates Source       disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing           RPM Fusion for EL 6 - Nonfree - Test Updates         enabled:         2
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing-debuginfo RPM Fusion for EL 6 - Nonfree - Test Updates Debug   disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing-source    RPM Fusion for EL 6 - Nonfree - Test Updates Source  disabled
sl                                          Scientific Linux 6.0 - x86_64                        enabled: 5,980+100
sl-fastbugs                                 Scientific Linux 6.0 - x86_64 - fastbug updates      disabled
sl-security                                 Scientific Linux 6.0 - x86_64 - security updates     enabled:   901+100
sl-source                                   Scientific Linux 6.0 Alpha - Source                  disabled
sl-testing                                  Scientific Linux 6.0 Testing - x86_64                disabled
sl-testing-source                           Scientific Linux 6.0 Testing - Source                disabled
repolist: 16,651

Maybe I misunderstand the Sl script part of the instructions, but I think I have what I need. All of the newest repositories are installed. Anything not check marked is an older version of what's already installed.

--------------------
Glenn