Scientific Linux Forum.org

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> firefox displays blank pages, unless ...
chexmix
 Posted: Jul 2 2017, 03:59 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3892

Hi all --

I installed SL 7.3 in order to have something Red-Hat-like to play with for certification/testing purposes. I'm a reasonably experienced Linux user (Slackware and others since 1999) but have not strayed into Red Hat/RPM territory much.

So far my experience has been a little frustrating, at least with Firefox -- the browser doesn't seem to want to display anything other than a blank, white page ... even though the pages are apparently loading (if I can trust the progress messages at the bottom of the screen)

I did some Googling and have looked at a couple of fixes (after sifting through all the Windows-specific ones), but they turned out to be dead ends: these involved toggling some settings in the about:config screen (which displayed fine) & the settings were already as they should be to fix the blank screen issue others have encountered.

So far the only thing that has worked -- and that only temporarily -- is to "Refresh" the browser by going to Help --> Troubleshooting Information --> Refresh Firefox. This restarts me to a browser that actually displays things (which is allowing me to type this), but this 'fix' doesn't persist. When I restart Firefox, it's back to blank screens.

I tried installing chromium from the EPEL repository, but it doesn't do anything but crash messily.

I've not encountered this issue before, so would appreciate pointers.

Thanks,

Glenn
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll