Scientific Linux Forum.org

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> How To Put a LiveCD/DVD To USB
neocronomican
 Posted: May 4 2012, 05:03 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1504

QUOTE (tux99 @ May 4 2012, 01:59 AM)
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

Have you try that tools dude? Please share me if you have success story using that tools...

QUOTE (AndrewSerk @ May 4 2012, 02:01 AM)
Hi neocronomican,

You could boot the install DVD in rescue mode or from a livecd and use the "grub-install" script to install grub where you want it.
Here is a link to a CentOS guide for re-installation of grub, the process is the same for SL: http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/ReinstallGRUB

Hope this helps,

okey i will try it latte Andrew, thankyou
PM
^
neocronomican
 Posted: May 5 2012, 06:02 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1504

UPDATE SUCCESS!!!

Hi Andrew, your tips to recover GRUB Success Perfectly,

So If you want to create Scientific Linux USB-Installer, you need
:

1. Use at least flashdisk 8GB with FAT32
2. download ISO2USB (http://iso2usb.sourceforge.net/)
3. download all of Scientific Linux CD ISO (NOT DVD), there is 9 CD.

This is the process that I have done :

1. Create the SL-USB-installer use ISO2USB
(Diskimage = CD1, Addtional File = /folder/that/you/save/CD2-CD9/iso)

2. Reboot your system and choose first booting from SL-USB-Installer

3. Install you Scientific Linux.

- When there is some media installer question just answer sourceinstaller = Hardisk, then Partion Contain Image is (/dev/sdb1)

4. After Installation Done reboot your system (first boot still form SL-USB Installer)

5. Recovery GRUB

- after installation finish, you cant boot using your fresh Scientific Linux, there is a problem if you use SL USB-Installer as source, then by default GRUB always install in SL USB-Installer drive (/dev/sdb1)... So we need to fix your GRUB.
- to fix GRUB, you should boot from you SL-USB Installer again and then do Andrew tricks http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/ReinstallGRUB
- in my system, my fresh install Scientific Linux is on /dev/sda and SL-USB Installer on /dev/sdb... So to fix the GRUB in rescue terminal I write "grub-install /dev/sda1"
- after you done fix GRUB to /dev/sda, reboot your system and boot from your fresh Scientific Linux drive.

6. Reboot and Boot From Your Fresh Scientific Linux Drive

* If your GRUB stuck because GRUB cant find hd(1,0) then in GRUB MENU just edit your GRUB in from hd(1,0) --> hd(0,0)... and continue boot process.

** If this condition (*) happen, after you login to system as root, please edit /etc/grub.conf and change all of hd(1,0) to hd (0.0)...

In this test I use :
1. ISO2USB v 0.7
2. Scientific Linux 5.7 CD1-9 ISO X86_64
3. Kingstone 8GB Flashdisk
PM
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: May 6 2012, 04:50 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

Hi neocronomican,
Glad it worked and thanks for posting your observations. smile.gif

Andrew
PM
^
peterlscott
 Posted: Jan 30 2014, 08:24 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 217

Andrew, these are excellent instructions. The "dd" method worked well for me when there was a single CD or DVD, such as for SL's Live CD iso. But a normal install of SL-6.x has two DVDs. Do I need a second usb stick? Or is it possible to put both DVD1 and DVD2 isos on a single stick? Any suggestions? My DRW is not working.

Thanks so much,

-- Peter
PMEmail Poster
^
World Domination Studios
 Posted: Aug 16 2017, 04:30 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Member No.: 3413

Linux Live USB Creator hasn't been updated for many years, and it doesn't have the install parameters for any version of SL more recent than 6.2

This guide should be updated to suggest a similar but more up-to-date tool for any Windows users who wish to create LiveUSB sticks, or any kind of bootable Linux stick. Advice on which ISO files to use, or which ones work with which USB-creation methods, would also be helpful.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll