Scientific Linux

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Crippling degenerative speaker disease
 Posted: Apr 26 2014, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 961

Not entirely sure if this is a Linux problem or not, but can't hurt asking...

Some time in the last two weeks or so, my SL6.5 laptop has developed a new problem. The sound keeps cutting out.

It'll work fine for about an hour from a typical power-on, then suddenly all output will cease. The sound configuration utility suggests nothing abnormal in the output.

Oddly, this problem only seems to affect the speakers - plugging in a pair of headphones allows me to hear sounds as normal.

Most strangely, the problem can be fixed by suspending and then immediately resuming the laptop - but only temporarily. It's only a matter of time before the sound goes dead again, at which point another suspend/resume is necessary.

I have found that the rate of cut-outs accelerates over time. As I said, it's normally good for about an hour initially. After the first bout of silence and suspension, it's usually only good for about another five minutes. After a few more broken/suspend/resume/working cycles, this goes down to about two minutes. My current record for shortest time between resuming and the speakers going dead again is 53 seconds.

Any ideas?
PMEmail Poster
 Posted: Apr 26 2014, 06:06 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 224

Maybe heat is affecting the signal path to the speakers (or the speakers themselves)?

It doesn't seem a software issue to me as you say the sound still works fine through the headphones.

My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software:
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror:
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll