Scientific Linux Forum.org

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Centos 6.4 on an ultrabook or thin & light?
pjc123
 Posted: Jul 31 2013, 06:23 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Group: Members
Member No.: 144

Looking to run Centos 6.4 for a class I will be taking (Same as Scientific Linux for the most part)on one of the newer lighter Thinkpads (Something current release). My preference, although not set in stone is one of the thin and light models, 14" screen, no screen door effect if possible, but may have to settle for just works. I really don't want of be lugging around a T430. I may also consider an Asus ultrabook. Any recommendations?
PM
^
scottro
 Posted: Aug 1 2013, 12:33 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 49

I have CentOS 6.4 on one of the first ultrabooks, the UX31E.

I needed a driver from Elrepo for the wired (which is a USB dongle, similar to the Airbook--on my machine, it came with the Zenbook, I'm not sure if the dongle is included with the later Zenbooks. Wireless worked out of the box though. I _think_ most of the Asus Zenbooks use Atheros for wireless, which should be supported.

PM
^
pjc123
 Posted: Aug 1 2013, 03:21 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Member No.: 144

Thanks. I was looking at the ux31 & ux32 when they were first released, but there were several complaints about it, especially the keyboard and touchpad, but I don't know the current status as they kept improving things. I really like the expandability of the ux32vd, and I see where people have installed Linux on it, but the common theme I see is that it needs recent kernels, one person stating 3.5+, so that one is out.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll