> Few questions about SL 6.3, Few questions about SL 6.3
tux
 Posted: Dec 12 2012, 03:16 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2136

Hi,

I am planning to use SL 6.3 64 Bit on my Lenovo Z570 laptop.

After upgrading the RAM to 8GB, Windows kept crashing. So I tried Ubuntu 12.04/CentOS 6.3 and some other variants of Linux. I want to settle down now with a distro that is as close to Red Hat as possible (My office servers all run RHEL so I want to be as close to RHEL as possible), but at the same time, has stuff that makes it easier to use on a laptop. The following is the list of things on my wishlist:

1) VMWare - Plan to install VMWare Workstation, inside of which I will install the ESX Server (Trial Version), and inside of that a couple of VMs so that I can test and play with VMWare.

2) Scripting - Perl Scripting primarily. In Ubuntu, I can download the Perl Modules straight off the Software Center. I know the CPAN Way, but sometimes it doesn't work (Net::SSH2 for example, fails with a libssh2 dependency when tried installing either through CPANMini or CPAN, whereas from the Software Center, it installs fine)

3) A distro thats close enough to Red Hat, but relaxed enough that it includes the typical desktop user apps by default or has the repos where I can download and install from.

4) And I am not sure if this will be different on SL 6.3, but in CentOS 6.3, I installed the Elrepo ml kernel so that it would get my laptop screen brightness working through the function keys and Jupiter would install without any errors. Will the same case be for SL 6.3? When I tried installing the Headers for the kernel I got errors as they were conflicting with the headers that were shipped along with the kernel. Is there a way to work around that?

5) Will the CentOS repositories work for SL 6.3 as well. Specifically elrepo, epel and possibliy CentOS Extras CentOSPlus, or are there any equivalent ones for Scientific Linux.

I am really sorry for the barrage of questions, but hope that I will be helped.

--------------------
Lenovo Ideapad Z570+8GB RAM+Linux= (Freedom+Peace Of Mind - BSOD) ^infinity.
PMEmail Poster
^
toracat
 Posted: Dec 12 2012, 04:41 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (tux @ Dec 12 2012, 07:16 AM)

4) And I am not sure if this will be different on SL 6.3, but in CentOS 6.3, I installed the Elrepo ml kernel so that it would get my laptop screen brightness working through the function keys and Jupiter would install without any errors. Will the same case be for SL 6.3? When I tried installing the Headers for the kernel I got errors as they were conflicting with the headers that were shipped along with the kernel. Is there a way to work around that?

5) Will the CentOS repositories work for SL 6.3 as well. Specifically elrepo, epel and possibliy CentOS Extras CentOSPlus, or are there any equivalent ones for Scientific Linux.

I can speak for ELRepo obviously. biggrin.gif

Yes, ELRepo should work fine on SL because SL kernels are kABI compatible with TUV. Both SL and CentoS aim to be 100% binary compatible with TUV. Therefore, in principle, what works for CentOS should work on SL as well including packages in CentOS extras and the centosplus kernels.

--------------------
ELRepo: repository specializing in hardware support for EL
PMUsers Website
^
tux99
 Posted: Dec 12 2012, 04:46 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 224

QUOTE (tux @ Dec 12 2012, 05:16 PM)

4) And I am not sure if this will be different on SL 6.3, but in CentOS 6.3, I installed the Elrepo ml kernel so that it would get my laptop screen brightness working through the function keys and Jupiter would install without any errors. Will the same case be for SL 6.3?

Sure, SL6.3 and Centos6.3 are practically identical, the differences are primarily aesthetic and some defaults are slightly different.

Will the CentOS repositories work for SL 6.3 as well. Specifically elrepo, epel and possibliy CentOS Extras CentOSPlus, or are there any equivalent ones for Scientific Linux.

Elrepo and Epel aren't Centos repos, they are repos for RHEL!
But this doesn't matter as Centos = RHEL = SL, any RHEL compatible repo works with any of them.

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
tux
 Posted: Dec 12 2012, 04:48 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Hi Toracat,

Thank you for responding.

If you are in any way associated with Elrepo....Thank you. Thank you for Elrepo. You have no idea how much helpful the kernel-ml has been for me.

It fixed the brightness, it made the laptop cooler by a few degrees and then some. Elrepo==Godsend.

I will be thankful if you could guide me to some page or site that explains how to install the Kernel Headers for the kernel-ml kernels.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
toracat
 Posted: Dec 12 2012, 04:55 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

QUOTE (tux @ Dec 12 2012, 08:48 AM)

If you are in any way associated with Elrepo....Thank you. Thank you for Elrepo. You have no idea how much helpful the kernel-ml has been for me.

It fixed the brightness, it made the laptop cooler by a few degrees and then some. Elrepo==Godsend.

Thank for the kind words. You need to thank Alan Bartlett of ELRepo for creating and maintainig kernel-ml. smile.gif

I will be thankful if you could guide me to some page or site that explains how to install the Kernel Headers for the kernel-ml kernels.

You don't need to install the kernel-headers package. If you so wish, you can install it by using 'yum' or 'rpm -Uvh'. It will update (overwrite) the existing headers.

[EDIT] Correction. You need to uninstall the distro's kernel-headers before installing kernel-ml-headers.

--------------------
PMUsers Website
^
tux
 Posted: Dec 12 2012, 05:19 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Hi Toracat and Tux99,

A day in the forum and I already know why Scientific Linux rocks smile.gif

The only other forum I have found so quick, helpful and gentle to beginners is Ubuntu and Perlmonks.

To me, you guys are the Perlmonks of Linux. No kidding.

Thank you both of you for your kind words and updates.

I did try the rpm -Uvh option on CentOS, but that didnt work. But thats ok. I am gonna try it out on SL.

Thank you once again guys.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
toracat
 Posted: Dec 12 2012, 05:31 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Erm, my note about the kernel-ml-headers was not quite correct. The -header package conflicts with the distro one. So you need to uninstall kernel-headers before installing kernel-ml-headers. But as I mentioned earlier, you don't have to install the headers package.

--------------------
PMUsers Website
^
tux
 Posted: Dec 12 2012, 05:49 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Hi Toracat,

Thats ok. I'll install it as you have stated.

I hope that the roaring penguin package is preinstalled in SL 6.3. Its something that some folks like me with PPPOE connectivity would find quite useful. Its just a matter of installing it from the rpms, but still, if this were shipped along with SL, it would be great. I'd find out in a while. About to install SL on my home laptop smile.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll