> Sound dies / Lenovo X201 SL6.0, After a few seconds, sound stops working
ghost
 Posted: Sep 12 2012, 04:36 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1534

Dear Forum Members,

I have a very weird problem: after a few seconds of actually playing some media file - be it a song or a video, be it with VLC or Totem - the sound suddenly mutes. The sound DOES work for the first few seconds after booting and THEN dies. The sound has been working for a very long time (since I installed this machine when SL6.0 freshly came out, that is).

The soundcard is not "muted" by my own setting, I checked. Moreover, apparently the microphone is not muted - just the speakers, as the speaker test does not produce anything at all.

The sound DOES work on a USB sound card which I plug in after my main soundcard mutes.

My system: 2.6.32-279.5.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Aug 14 16:11:42 CDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

As I saw it elsewhere suggested to some other person that the output of a few commands be posted, here it is, in case it matters here:

# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: CONEXANT Analog [CONEXANT Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

]# aplay -L
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, CONEXANT Analog
Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
hdmi:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
pulse
PulseAudio Sound Server

# lspci | grep -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)

Help would be greatly appreciated - I am really at a loss what to do. Thank you in advance for your kind support.
PMEmail Poster
^
tux99
 Posted: Sep 12 2012, 06:05 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 224

Do you get any error message when the sound dies?

I suspect the Pulseaudio daemon is dying for some reason.

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
ghost
 Posted: Sep 12 2012, 07:38 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Well...

"ps aux | grep pulseaudio"

gives me this:

usern 2720 0.0 0.0 435064 5344 ? S<sl 19:00 0:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog
usern 4759 0.0 0.0 103248 852 pts/0 S+ 21:31 0:00 grep pulseaudio

So I guess it is still there... anything else I may try? And no, I do not get any notification or warning whatsoever. The sound just disappears. If you wait too long and play something, it is gone already. If you play something taking just a few seconds, it plays it till the end (my greeting tune, for instance). And if you play something early and longer than for a few secons, it just disappears in the middle of the playing without any notification or interruption - it looks as if it is still playing, but you hear nothing. The sound controls are not changed in any way, i.e. the volume indicator stays exactly the same.

I am completely puzzled from what angle to attack this one and I thank you very much for looking into it!
PMEmail Poster
^
tux99
 Posted: Sep 12 2012, 07:47 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

QUOTE (ghost @ Sep 12 2012, 09:38 PM)

I am completely puzzled from what angle to attack this one and I thank you very much for looking into it!

Frankly I'm puzzled too, all I have ever experienced is sound either working, or not working at all, or not working after Pulseaudio crashes, but your experience is new to me too.

Pulseaudio should log to /var/log/messages, maybe check if there is anything in /var/log/messages around the time when the sound crashes.

Also have a look at the .xsession-errors file in your user home directory, maybe it contains some sound related error.

You also could run 'tail -f /home/yourusername/.xsession-errors /var/log/messages' (as root as /var/log/messages can only be opened as root user) in a terminal before the problem happens and then see what errors, if any, pop up in these log files the moment the sound disappears.

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
ghost
 Posted: Sep 12 2012, 08:03 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Rather quiet on the Western Front, I must say...

IMMEDIATELY around the sound drop there is NO activity recorded whatsoever! What I captured follows... I kind of find these lines interesting:

==> /var/log/messages <==
Sep 12 21:52:46 RedOctober pulseaudio[2729]: ratelimit.c: 2 events suppressed

sudo tail -f /home/username/.xsession-errors /var/log/messages
==> /home/username/.xsession-errors <==
Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
Initializing nautilus-gdu extension

** (gnome-panel:2736): CRITICAL **: panel_applet_frame_change_background: assertion `PANEL_IS_WIDGET (GTK_WIDGET (frame)->parent)' failed
Conky: desktop window (24000a5) is subwindow of root window (10a)
Conky: window type - normal
Conky: drawing to created window (0x7800001)
Conky: drawing to double buffer
&: No such file or directory

Sep 12 21:52:15 RedOctober NetworkManager[1912]: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 5 of 5 (IP Configure Commit) scheduled...
Sep 12 21:52:15 RedOctober NetworkManager[1912]: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 4 of 5 (IP4 Configure Get) complete.
Sep 12 21:52:16 RedOctober NetworkManager[1912]: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 5 of 5 (IP Configure Commit) started...
Sep 12 21:52:16 RedOctober avahi-daemon[1924]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface wlan0.IPv4 with address 10.0.0.3.
Sep 12 21:52:16 RedOctober avahi-daemon[1924]: New relevant interface wlan0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Sep 12 21:52:16 RedOctober avahi-daemon[1924]: Registering new address record for 10.0.0.3 on wlan0.IPv4.
Sep 12 21:52:17 RedOctober NetworkManager[1912]: <info> (wlan0): device state change: 7 -> 8 (reason 0)
Sep 12 21:52:17 RedOctober NetworkManager[1912]: <info> Policy set 'Auto WLANNAME' (wlan0) as default for IPv4 routing and DNS.
Sep 12 21:52:17 RedOctober NetworkManager[1912]: <info> Activation (wlan0) successful, device activated.
Sep 12 21:52:17 RedOctober NetworkManager[1912]: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 5 of 5 (IP Configure Commit) complete.

VLC media player 1.1.11 The Luggage (revision exported)

Sep 12 21:52:46 RedOctober pulseaudio[2729]: ratelimit.c: 2 events suppressed

Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
[0x1461120] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")
Warning: call to srand(1347479566)
Warning: call to rand()

(process:3221): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.

** (<unknown>:3221): CRITICAL **: giop_thread_request_push: assertion `tdata != NULL' failed
VLC media player 1.1.11 The Luggage (revision exported)
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
[0xa4c120] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
Warning: call to srand(1347479690)

(process:3257): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.

** (<unknown>:3257): CRITICAL **: giop_thread_request_push: assertion `tdata != NULL' failed

By the way, can I somehow reset the sound driver in the kernel or something?
PMEmail Poster
^
tux99
 Posted: Sep 12 2012, 10:07 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Hmm, I'm afraid that log output doesn't contain anything that helps me pinpoint the issue, but I still suspect this is a pulseaudio issue as opposed to a kernel sound driver issue.

This page contains loads of tips, maybe you find something useful on there:
http://fedorasolved.org/Members/fenris02/pulseaudio-fixes-and-workarounds

You can 'reset' the kernel sound driver by unloading it and then reloading it but it's not straightforward as you first have to stop/kill all applications and daemons (like pulseaudio) that use it.

'lsmod' lists all loaded kernel modules (you should see quite a few audio related ones).

'rmmod' can be used to unload kernel modules and 'modprobe' is used to load/reload kernel modules.

If you don't get anywhere you could try removing pulseaudio completely. Pulseaudio is actually completely unnecessary (at best a waste of cpu cycles and worst case a nuisance) unless you use bluetooth audio.

I wrote a how-to on how to remove pulseaudio here:
http://scientificlinuxforum.org/index.php?showtopic=618
I always uninstall pulseaudio on my PCs because I have no use for it.

--------------------
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll