> SL 6.4 Broadcom BCM4311 sometimes works sometimes dos not, Broadcom wireless
igadoter
 Posted: Jan 17 2015, 06:04 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3337

Hi,
This is one of most annoying situation. I have Compaq nx7300 with Broadcom 4311 wifi adapter. The wifi sometimes works sometimes does not. Pressing wifi switch does no't help much. Interface is down, and when I am trying to put it up, then
CODE

# ifconfig wlan0 up

then appears message
CODE

SCIOFLAGS: RFKILL;.....

and device is useless. But other times, even after reboot, it works fine. How to mange this problem? I wanted to obtain information what may cause such strange behaviour and resolve this. The device is ok, tested. I aa running SL 6.4.
PMEmail Poster
^
helikaon
 Posted: Jan 19 2015, 02:27 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

hi there,
it's definitely strange that the device sometimes works and sometimes not ..

what says:
CODE

lspci | grep -i net
lsmod | grep -i bcm

if there is problem try to load / unload module and through 'rfkill observe device SW and HW availability'
CODE

modprobe -r bcmXXX

rfkill list

modprobe bcmXXX

rfkill list

post if / when you have more details ..

cheers,

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
igadoter
 Posted: Jan 20 2015, 11:44 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Sorry for delay,
now it's ok, device is working
CODE

[piotr@druid ~]$ lspci | grep -i net
02:0e.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
10:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)
[piotr@druid ~]$ lspci | grep -i bcm
02:0e.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
10:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)
[piotr@druid ~]$

In the behaviour it looks like device is somehow locked. Thank your reply. Hope it will work.
PMEmail Poster
^
igadoter
 Posted: Jan 21 2015, 02:24 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Yet again this happened, device was not woring, I applied what you suggested @heliakon
CODE

[root@druid piotr]# modprobe -r b43
[root@druid piotr]# modprobe -r b44
[root@druid piotr]# rfkill list
[root@druid piotr]# modprobe b43 b44
FATAL: Error inserting b43 (/lib/modules/2.6.32-358.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43/b43.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes
[root@druid piotr]#

What does it mean?
PMEmail Poster
^
helikaon
 Posted: Jan 22 2015, 01:37 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

QUOTE (igadoter @ Jan 21 2015, 02:24 PM)
Yet again this happened,  device was not woring, I applied what you suggested @heliakon
CODE

[root@druid piotr]# modprobe -r b43
[root@druid piotr]# modprobe -r b44
[root@druid piotr]# modprobe b43 b44
FATAL: Error inserting b43 (/lib/modules/2.6.32-358.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43/b43.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes
[root@druid piotr]#

What does it mean?

Hi there,
one thing is clear - during insertion of b43 module back into memory ("modprobe -r" is removal and "modprobe" is to insert module) the module clearly doesn't insert properly.
The reason should be visible (is it says above) if you run "dmesg" command.

Try to run the "dmesg" command and look for any mention of bcm, broadcom, net, error, warning etc.

The message 'hard blocked yes' after you run the 'rfkill' command means the wifi adapter is blocked by HW switch on your laptop.
If your wifi adapter is enabled (on the HW buttton) then the bcm43 driver clearly has a problem in communication with you laptop HW.

to solve this step by step:
- inspect that 'dmesg' output
- if we wont get any clear leads i'd definitely recommend updating kernel (bcm43 is part of kernel package) btw which version SL do you have and which kernel version?
- if nothing works, i'd try to install latest bcm driver directly from broadcom web site

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
igadoter
 Posted: Jan 23 2015, 10:22 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

QUOTE (helikaon @ Jan 22 2015, 03:37 PM)

Try to run the "dmesg" command and look for any mention of  bcm, broadcom, net, error, warning  etc.

The message 'hard blocked yes' after you run the 'rfkill' command means the wifi adapter is blocked by HW switch on your laptop.
If your wifi adapter is enabled (on the HW buttton) then the bcm43 driver clearly has a problem in communication with you laptop HW.

Thank, I'll do. But from what you suggested It is being clear for me that I will have to upgrade kernel or try to install drivers from broadcom web site. Sometimes wifi simply stops to work and situation is similar - there is no way to to restart it. I installed SL 6.4, here's the kernel
CODE

[piotr@druid ~]$ echo $(uname -r)
2.6.32-358.el6.x86_64
PMEmail Poster
^
helikaon
 Posted: Jan 23 2015, 03:21 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Hi,
i'd try definitely update to SL 6.6 or at least update kernel to latest one. And see if it helps - if not, then to download from the broadcom directly.

cheers :]

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
igadoter
 Posted: Apr 23 2015, 12:02 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

I resolved the problem partially. The issue is with NetworkManager. Driver works fine. For unknown to me reasons NetworkManager constantly deauthorize http://www.madjacksports.com/forum/images/smilies/facepalm.gif. The solution is to kill NetworkManager and run
CODE

# wpa_supplicant -Dwext -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf  -B
# dhclient  -R domain-name-servers

wpa_supplicant.conf file was made with wpa_passhprase. With these commands I have stable wifi connection. So definitely it is not driver issue.
PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll