> Repo Collisions, question about the repository problems
hdd
 Posted: Mar 20 2012, 12:14 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1375

Hi all ,
first of all , sorry if this question is already been raised somewhere else, this is not intended to be a starting flame of any sort.

This is the second time that I attempt to use SL as desktop (laptop actually) main system.
Coming from fedora , the first thing that I noticed is how hard is to keep the system up to date , without breaking everything (reason why the other time I tried I rolled back to fedora.)

So far I've managed to have the repos configured with all the various plugin (priority , protect-base etc) , and things are going a bit smoother, but I don't get how is it possible that on a system , that is supposed to be "the most stable and reliable", is so hard to have repositories that doesn't make your system collapses so easily.

This doesn't want to be mere complain , as I do like what I have now, but I'd like to understand where the difficulties of keeping the repo not clashing each other comes from.
(just to be fair , it happens on fedora as well , if you enable Atrpms with others, but it's usually just matter of one repo or 2 and not any)

CHeers.
L.

P.s
Is there any reason why SL doesn't come with the third party repos setup with a basic priority set up?
PM
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Mar 20 2012, 03:28 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

Hello hdd,

The first thing to understand about third party repo's is just that they are from a third party (not from SL devs). The SL devs don't have control of those third party repos or how the packages are built or against what deps.

I have never had a conflict that was a result of the SL official repos and have only had issues that came from the third party sources.

If you use the rpmforge repo and the SL official repos only, you should experience little to no issues. If you need packages that are only supported by other repos I would suggest you only enable the other repos for the install of the unsupported packages and disable the other repos for normal use.

The above practices have worked well for me and I hope they give you the same experience.

Andrew
PM
^
hdd
 Posted: Mar 20 2012, 04:16 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Thanks Andrew.
Yes , I'm trying to keep the repo list as shorter as I can ,to avoid problems , and you are right , sticking on the sl ones . there's no problems, but they lack a lot of packages that I need to make SL working as everyday desktop. I guess that the only thing I can do , is to keep looking for a package at time , enabling and disabling the repos ad needed.

Still have some problems , as I have yum complaining (not sure why) between i686 and 64bit packages, but that might be fault of skype (damn it).

I'd like to see one day , a unified repo dedicated to SL for just multimedia packages and libs, compiled to make it work just with the sl repos, without collisions ... but I guess I'll have to cope with the situation that is in place now , as most of the people uses SL and CentOs as server and not as everyday desktop solution.

Thanks!
PM
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Mar 20 2012, 04:30 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

Maybe one day we will have a unified repo for desktop users. That would be a interesting project!

Best of luck smile.gif

Andrew
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Mar 21 2012, 01:32 PM
Quote Post

SLF Guru

Member No.: 224

QUOTE (AndrewSerk @ Mar 20 2012, 05:30 PM)
Maybe one day we will have a unified repo for desktop users. That would be a interesting project!

Best of luck smile.gif

Andrew

I agree that would be great, but unfortunately each repo has different (and often incompatible) objectives and rules with regards to what licenses and potentially patent-encumbered stuff they allow in their repo, therefore I can't see that happening anytime soon.

I only started my own repo because none of the existing ones met my requirements, not because of an ego trip (ok I do enjoy packaging but I would just as gladly package for some existing repo if any of them met my view of what should be included in a repo, rpmforge is probably the one closest to my view).

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
hdd
 Posted: Mar 21 2012, 06:00 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

yeah I know , sl is not primary a desktop system (even it should be from my pov).
but I agree , even if it's difficult , i'd like to see a bit more of desktop packages landing in an offical repo.
L.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll