Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Network Manager available in Scientific Linux 6.x?, Wireless issues
astallard123
 Posted: Jun 25 2014, 08:54 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3145

Hello, I am using Scientific Linux 5.4 and I keep getting the following error message when attempting to use wireless networking:

Bringing up interface wlan0: Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) : SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

The internet consensus on how to fix this is to use "Network Manager" as opposed to "Network Configuration" to manage your wireless service.

However, Network manager does not seem to be present in Sci-Linux 5.4. Does it come with Sci-Linux 6.x? (Should i try to install network manager or just upgrade if it is already part of 6.x?)

Does anybody know?

Thank You for Your Responses:

Andrew Stallard
PM
^
Screwballl
 Posted: Jun 29 2014, 05:17 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Member No.: 3067

That is usually dependent more on the driver for whichever WLAN chip is installed in that laptop.

If you're not overly attached to the OS or files then I would suggest installing 6.5 as it has the updated network software and drivers which is more likely to pick up the WLAN hardware.

You can try "yum upgrade" to see if the system will let you upgrade it to 6.5 without losing your files.
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Jul 3 2014, 03:20 AM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (astallard123 @ Jun 25 2014, 08:54 AM)
Hello, I am using Scientific Linux 5.4 and I keep getting the following error message when attempting to use wireless networking:

Bringing up interface wlan0: Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) : SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

The internet consensus on how to fix this is to use "Network Manager" as opposed to "Network Configuration" to manage your wireless service.

However, Network manager does not seem to be present in Sci-Linux 5.4. Does it come with Sci-Linux 6.x? (Should i try to install network manager or just upgrade if it is already part of 6.x?)

Does anybody know?

Andrew Stallard

Hi,
the 5.x version should have NM.
try:
CODE

yum install NetworkManager
chkconfig NetworkManager on
service NetworkManager start

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
astallard123
 Posted: Jul 3 2014, 05:13 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 3145

QUOTE (helikaon @ Jul 3 2014, 10:20 AM)
QUOTE (astallard123 @ Jun 25 2014, 08:54 AM)

Does anybody know?

Andrew Stallard

Hi,
the 5.x version should have NM.
try:
CODE

yum install NetworkManager
chkconfig NetworkManager on
service NetworkManager start

Thanks anyway, but I live in a country with only wi-fi access right now so I can't yum install anything until I get the system up and running.

Andrew Stallard
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Jul 16 2014, 02:50 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

Andrew,
There is always a way - almost always to be said :]

- do you have any way to get your hands on burnt up DVD of CentOS 5.x ? If you do, you can install it directly from the DVD.

- do you have any access to the e.g. netcafe with free PC where you could download NM rpm package to e.g. flash disk?

- last you can bring up the wlan0 inter face from command line - which can be sometimes difficult and apparently you have problems with it

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll