Scientific Linux Forum.org

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> New Linux User (and I'm kinda... lost)
ChmPhyGuy
 Posted: May 2 2016, 02:47 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3680

Hello! Ok, very short intro.

Chemistry & Physics major eyeballing a PhD in general area of Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Math Physics, etc. I realized after stumbling over some long computations (for a student) that I probably needed to read more into better computation platforms (Enter Linux) found Scientific Linux and have installed it (after screwing up my PC 3 times in the process) but here we are up and running.

Anyway, I'm beginning to really love the power of Linux, once you get used to the terminal use. But I'm kinda lost on the RedHat/SL specific distros. I've read several books like THIS and I've gotten the hang of Linux in general, including that awful NVidia drivers nightmare but those books aren't distro specific obviously.

Anyway, kinda lost. I'm having difficulty finding information to get started with SL specifically, like finding programs and distro-specific items. I don't even know where the full documentation is. Can someone help me out? Basiclly... I have no real idea what I'm doing.
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: May 2 2016, 03:26 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 953

Hello ChmpPHyGuy,

Welcome to the forums! and to Linux smile.gif

About nvidia drivers, easierst is to install the elrepo repo. Then you can install the package "nvidia-detect" . Once it is installed run that and it will tell you which driver you need. Which will be one of the following:

kmod-nvidia-96xx
kmod-nvidia-173xx
kmod-nvidia-304xx
kmod-nvidia-340xx

Be sure to read this post first. And be sure to check out the yum priority plugin and the yum protectbase plugin. Don't use both. Try both out and see which you like, they have the same end goal though, which is two protect your base repos. So when installing a package it will look in your base repos before it wil in a 3rd party repo such as ELREPO. Here's another useful link but the forum post I linked earlier has mostly the same info.

You can use yum to manage packages
CODE

yum search keyword
yum install packagename
yum remove  packagename

See the redhat documentation for more info about yum/rpm and packages.

For packages/software not in the default repos you can use third party repos like I mentioned before. There are othere third party repos other than those mentioned in the fhe other post and link. If you can't find anything in the repos of what you need you can do a google or DDG search for a linux alternative and you will come across different linux package alternatives.

Another useful site for learning about linux.

Hope that helps! wink.gif

--------------------
PM
^
ChmPhyGuy
 Posted: May 9 2016, 10:23 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 3680

Hey that helps a great deal, thank you!

Quick question, So I have started looking at repos and such however I am curious as to what the default "Application Installer" is actually looking at, the default repos don't turn up some of the applications the installer shows, as well as many apparently just showing dot icons.

I just don't know where that program is downloading from.

PM
^
inittux
 Posted: May 9 2016, 10:41 AM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 953

QUOTE (ChmPhyGuy @ May 9 2016, 11:23 AM)
Hey that helps a great deal, thank you!

Quick question, So I have started looking at repos and such however I am curious as to what the default "Application Installer" is actually looking at, the default repos don't turn up some of the applications the installer shows, as well as many apparently just showing dot icons.

I just don't know where that program is downloading from.

The default way of installation applications is with the yum command. Yum looks at the different repos in:

/etc/yum.repos.d/

These repo files all end in .repo. for example:

CentOS-Base.repo elrepo.repo epel.repo .

When searching or installing a package yum uses these sources to search for a pacage and it's dependencies. if you look inside a .repo file you will see a source or mirror mention, this tells yum where to look for the packages.

--------------------
PM
^
+X^N
 Posted: Jul 8 2016, 12:13 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 2581

(I am using SL 6 on a desktop install .)
In the RHEL clone world , some repositories (repos) conflict with some others ;
this means that the libraries & dependancies need different versions .
The link that #inittux gave to our "3rd party repos" is essential .
Relating to that is some further info :
EPEL is from the same people as Fedora (which is where RHEL & SL arises) ; it is the first '3rd party' repository that I enable .
ELRepo is mainly for 'drivers'
LinuxTECH.NET is good for multimedia {the devel. is active here #tux99 _ yea !}
Nux repo also has multimedia (including for 7)
PUIAS Linux (Springdale) is from a USA university & has some specialized packages
RPM Fusion is well respected too
Naulinux is good for some specialized eduactional packages
There are others also .
I like to go to https://pkgs.org/ for a human language seach first .

--------------------
DELL Precision 470 Workstation Xeon 3.2GHz (x2) , 2GB ECC ram ;
DELL UltraSharp 2007WFPb (L) ips monitor
Dual boot :1st installed: WinXPPro & then SL6.4 x86_64 - via 2 'everything' DVD s { GRUB going into the SL6.4 partition } ;
Updated to 6.5 via DVD s

& Steelcase vintage / old-school stenographers seat (made in Grand Rapids , MI , USA)
PMUsers Website
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll