> SLC 6.6 Blue Screen at Login, VM is "freezing" right after login
robbo
 Posted: Jul 22 2015, 03:47 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3498

Hey Everyone,

So I am using SLC 6.6 on VM Player v6.0.6. I recently upgraded the player to v6.0.7. I rebooted the VM and typed in my username/password where things then go wrong.

The screen changed to show the typical SLC wallpaper. Then the screen changes to a pale blue and nothing happens. It doesn't quite "freeze" as I can move the mouse around but I cannot see anything related to the desktop. No icons/taskbar/etc and I cannot get any response with keyboard shotcuts. So I cannot open a terminal.

Does anyone know what is going on here? I would really really really like to avoid reinstalling as I am developing various frameworks and setting up the environments take ages :/

What seems strange is its able to boot and get all the way to a login screen. (Does the same thing for root).

Thanks,
Rob
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Jul 25 2015, 02:11 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

Hi,
by 'vm player' you mean vmware player?
My guess is, that by the updating the player, the 'hardware' the virutal machine 'see' has changed.

Try to have a look at HW definitions at VMware player and try to change type of VGA.

This is only general advice coming to my mind, as i'm not familiar with vmware player. I use native linux (SL) virtualization platform - KVM, which is better.

cheers :]

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll