Scientific Linux Forum.org

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Can't create kernel modules for Virtual Box after yum update, kernel modules for Virtual
mintray
 Posted: Jan 3 2016, 03:19 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3596

Running Scientific Linux 7.2

After yum update (02/01/2016) to kernel version 3.10.0-327.3.1.el7.x86_64 I cannot finish the install of VirtualBox-5.0-5.0.10_104061_el7-1.x86_64 as I get the following error messages

> Running transaction

> Installing : VirtualBox-5.0-5.0.10_104061_el7-1.x86_64 1/1
>
> Creating group 'vboxusers'. VM users must be member of that group!
>
> No precompiled module for this kernel found -- trying to build one. Messages
> emitted during module compilation will be logged to /var/log/vbox-install.log.
>
> Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules [ OK ]
> Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules [FAILED]
> (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
> Verifying : VirtualBox-5.0-5.0.10_104061_el7-1.x86_64 1/1
>
> Installed:
> VirtualBox-5.0.x86_64 0:5.0.10_104061_el7-1
>

If I look at /var/log/vbox-install.log the first couple of lines indicates the source of the problem

make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/3.10.0-123.el7.x86_64/build modules
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || ( \
echo >&2; \
echo >&2 " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
echo >&2 " include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo >&2 " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it."; \

I then changed directory to /usr/src/kernels/3.10.0-327.3.1.el7.x86_64

and run

make oldconfig ... success

but

make prepare .... errors with

> scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/kernels/3.10.0-327.3.1.el7.x86_64/arch/x86/syscalls/syscall_32.tbl', needed by `arch/x86/syscalls/../include/generated/uapi/asm/unistd_32.h'. Stop.
> make: *** [archheaders] Error 2

Removing VirtualBox

running yum clean

and trying to reinstall again, not unsurprisingly, fails with the same error and error messages in vbox-install.log

Help please

I am not installing VirtualBox-5.0-5.0.12_104815_el7-1.x86_64.rpm as this fails with dependencies in device mapper (this is another can of worms) hence installing VirtualBox-5.0-5.0.10_104061_el7-1.x86_64 which was the version of VirtualBox which was running successfully before the yum update.

M

PMEmail Poster
^
helikaon
 Posted: Jan 4 2016, 11:46 AM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

Hi,
this is generally probably better to report to Oracle directly?

I stopped using VB years back when KVM came up and i never looked back, being very happy with the KVM.
Only thing i can recommend as workaround is to run your VM in KVM before this get fixed...

best of luck, cheers

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
mintray
 Posted: Jan 4 2016, 07:26 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 3596

QUOTE (helikaon @ Jan 4 2016, 11:46 AM)
Hi,
this is generally probably better to report to Oracle directly?

I stopped using VB years back when KVM came up and i never looked back, being very happy with the KVM.
Only thing i can recommend as workaround is to run your VM in KVM before this get fixed...

best of luck, cheers

Thanks for your help

I checked the Oracle site as per your suggestion I discovered how to unravel the "can of worms" (dependencies) I mentioned in my PS to to my posting.

By doing this, although I still had compilation errors, the installation of Virtual Box manged to create the kernel modules, such that it appears to "work" again.

Iit just apppeared to be an SL7 problem as it coincided with a yum update.

helikaon thanks again for your time ... will investigate KVM further.

M
PMEmail Poster
^
helikaon
 Posted: Jan 5 2016, 12:21 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (mintray @ Jan 4 2016, 07:26 PM)

Thanks for your help

I  checked the Oracle site as per your suggestion I discovered how to unravel the "can of worms" (dependencies)  I mentioned in my PS to to my posting.

By doing this,  although I still had compilation errors,  the installation of Virtual Box  manged to create the kernel modules, such that it  appears to "work" again.

Iit just apppeared to be an SL7 problem as it coincided with a yum update.

helikaon thanks  again for your time ... will investigate KVM further.

M

Glad it worked out for you :-)
The KVM is native linux virtualization layer (libvirtd) that can easily replace VB. The advantage over VB is, that it is part of the OS, so it is much less likely you would have troubles similar you had with VB.

It is widely used business solution to virtualization - directly competing with vmware (as the RHEV). And of course it can also run on laptops/workstation to supplicate the VB.

Only thing that bothered me from a bit is, that it doesn't have a 'shared folder' like the VB had, so sharing files between guest/host is done via NFS (host runs NFS server and guest NFS client). Which is pretty much sufficient with 10Gbps virtio network driver on guest.

Btw. win 7 ultimate have NFS client ... if not ultimate, then you can run Samba for filshare between guest / host (if guest is windows).

All in all, KVM require some reading first, but it's much more powerful than VB .. .as i said, i'm very, very happy with it on my laptop and on servers too (i run on it Zimbra server on KVM, i run owncloud on kvm etc etc ... :-)

cheers! smile.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
inittux
 Posted: Jan 23 2016, 12:38 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 953

+1 for KVM, been running it since I heard about it a few years back biggrin.gif

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll