> SL6 MATLAB freeze
Dominic
 Posted: Sep 22 2015, 03:05 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3533

Hi all,

Our lab has been trying to solve the following problem and I was hoping that someone might be able to help because we can't run experiments.

MATLAB R2012b operating on Scientific Linux 6 is freezing after intensive memory use. Specifically, if I cause it to throw an 'out of memory' error by building a large matrix then the next process I run (e.g., even 'bench') will freeze MATLAB and I will have to kill it. This is a new problem that has only occurred in the past two weeks.

I've been in contact with MATLAB, but they haven't been much help (yet) because they don't have experience with Scientific Linux distributions. I'm thinking it might be due to an interaction of MATLAB with Scientific Linux because all other programs work fine and I've stress tested the CPUs/RAM outside of MATLAB. I've also reinstalled MATLAB to no avail.

Has anyone else had similar problems? Any suggestions would be very warmly welcomed!

Many thanks, Dominic
PMEmail Poster
^
meangreen85
 Posted: Nov 25 2015, 11:03 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1324

Did you ever solve this problem? I just started to experience the same thing. None of the troubleshooting steps I have taken have helped prove information. I've tried running with no gui, tried running 2015a, putting the "drawnow" command in my loop, clearing the history, restarting the computer, using the opengl bugtester,... I'm sure there are some other things that I can't remember. I did a memory test (memtest86+) and no errors showed up, but I was only able to have run 2x so maybe after a few more tests I would see problems? The only reason I don't think its the memory is because no other program has the same problem, even if something is similarly memory intense. Also, top doesn't show matlab as taking up a bunch of memory. Any other troubleshooting ideas? (im using matlab 2012a)
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: Nov 29 2015, 08:12 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 953

Running matlab R2013a and R2014b on servers at work under rhel6.7. Not having any problems, but you are using a different version. Any system updates in the last two weeks?

--------------------
PM
^
meangreen85
 Posted: Dec 1 2015, 04:54 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1324

I just found this, and am giving it a try... I just ran a code that was consistently crashing/hanging and it seems to be running fine. I can't promise it is fixed until I run some other jobs but so far this is looks like it worked!

Solution - need to get bugfixed version of glibc: glibc-2.12-1.166.el6_7.1 (I got glibc-2.12-1.166.el6_7.3). Need to enable "fastbug updates" repo. more instructions are below.

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/244854-why-does-matlab-suddenly-hang-on-red-hat-enterprise-centos-scientific-linux-6-7

The mathworks solution is copied below for easy access:
"There is a bug in glibc-2.12-1.166 shipped with Red Hat Enterprise 6.7 which causes a deadlock in malloc/free (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1244002) which can cause deadlocks in MATLAB.

This bug is fixed in glibc-2.12-1.166.el6_7.1 which is available in the "fastbug updates" repositories.

To enable this repository go to "System" -> "Administration" -> "Add/Remove Software" and then "System" -> "Software Sources" where you can enable the "fastbug updates" repositories. After this use "System" -> "Administration" -> "Software Update" to install the updated glibc version. Consult your Linux system administrator or the operating system's documentation if you want to install this particular update without using the "fastbug updates" repositories."
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll