Member No.: 2836

Pretty big news:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2014-January/020100.html

One interesting piece:

some of the existing CentOS Core members are moving to
take up roles at Red Hat, as a part of their sponsorship of the CentOS
Project, allowing these people to work on the Project as their primary
job function.

Although much will stay the same, CentOS will have more direct access to Red Hat resources.

For SL, this does not change that much, I guess. But with this change, I would propose to think about taking CentOS as a base for SL, and build upon CentOS directly, instead of building only on the RHEL sources. SL could still offer stuff like artwork and some additions on top of CentOS. Just my 2c though.
PMUsers Website
^
hadrons123
 Posted: Jan 8 2014, 05:28 AM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Group: Members
Member No.: 1546

SL basing on centOS would only delay SL and I don't see any direct benefits.
PMEmail Poster
^
Viper550
 Posted: Jan 8 2014, 06:29 AM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Member No.: 129

The only way to really "purchase" an open source project is to

1. Hire all its major contributors
2. Acquire rights to its trademarks.

They've done both.
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Jan 8 2014, 09:56 AM
Quote Post

SLF Inceptor

Group: Admins
Member No.: 1

I've been following this on the SL Mail List also. Some think that RH wants to make sure that CentOS is not 'quite' the same as RHEL.

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
Nexus 4 //Android
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
evert
 Posted: Jan 8 2014, 11:38 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Member No.: 2836

@hadrons123: yes, but if centos can use the infra of RH, then they can have quick (security) updates and so on. it would be a waste not to make use of that. on the other hand, some independence is also important.

@joutlan: nobody knows for now, but if they change centos too much compared to RHEL, than SL will see an increased user base and after their investment into centos i guess that's not what they are after. the future will teach us.

anyhow, SL now has better artwork, a few very handy changes, AND more independence wub.gif
PMUsers Website
^
tux99
 Posted: Jan 8 2014, 06:13 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 224

I'm not sure what this will mean for the future of CentOS, I'll have to read up more about this change and see how things develop before deciding whether this is a good development or not.

I don't think this should make any difference for SL and the way it's developed, IMHO SL should continue to base itself on the original RHEL source rpms as they have always done.

What could happen is that some CentOS users might move over to SL if this change will affect CentOS negatively in some way, so this might increase the popularity of SL.

Anyway, it's great that CentOS is not the only RHEL clone so that there is always alternatives in case CentOS starts going downhill.

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
+X^N
 Posted: Jan 8 2014, 09:03 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 2581

From R.H. press release : RALEIGH, N.C. – January 7, 2014 http://www.redhat.com/about/news/press-archive/2014/1/red-hat-and-centos-join-forces
Webcast
Brian Stevens, executive vice president and chief technology officer, Red Hat, will host a webcast to discuss today's announcement at 5:00 p.m. ET on January 7, 2014. Following remarks, press and analysts are invited to participate in a question and answer session.

To join the webcast or view the replay after the event, visit: vts.inxpo.com

from the FAQ in that press_release : http://community.redhat.com/centos-faq/
... a lot of good info. ...

Will CentOS releases be synchronously available with those of Red Hat Enterprise Linux?

No, CentOS releases will follow shortly after the release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux source. Release timing may also be based on the release schedule determined by the project to include additional components.

When is the next CentOS release?

The next CentOS release should arrive shortly following the next relevant update of projects such as OpenStack or products such as Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

'enjoy'

--------------------
DELL Precision 470 Workstation Xeon 3.2GHz (x2) , 2GB ECC ram ;
DELL UltraSharp 2007WFPb (L) ips monitor
Dual boot :1st installed: WinXPPro & then SL6.4 x86_64 - via 2 'everything' DVD s { GRUB going into the SL6.4 partition } ;
Updated to 6.5 via DVD s

& Steelcase vintage / old-school stenographers seat (made in Grand Rapids , MI , USA)
PMUsers Website
^
tux99
 Posted: Jan 8 2014, 10:17 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 224

From the FAQ on redhat.com: http://community.redhat.com/centos-faq/

While CentOS is derived from the Red Hat Enterprise Linux codebase, CentOS and Red Hat Enterprise Linux are distinguished by divergent build environments, QA processes, and, in some editions, different kernels and other open source components. For this reason, the CentOS binaries are not the same as the Red Hat Enterprise Linux binaries.

This is either plain FUD (it's sad to see Redhat adopt FUD as a marketing strategy just like every other evil corporation does) or it's a sign for things to come. Fact is the Centos devs have so far been extraordinarily dedicated and successful in making sure that the Centos binaries are identical with the RHEL binaries and this is one of the primary reasons for Centos popularity.

The two also have very different focuses. While CentOS delivers a distribution with strong community support, Red Hat Enterprise Linux provides a stable enterprise platform with a focus on security, reliability, and performance

And this is clearly what Redhat's wish is for what Centos should become, but it's not the current reality.

The current reality is that Centos provides a stable enterprise platform with a focus on security, reliability, and performance just like RHEL and it has become so popular due to it being reliably 100% compatible with RHEL that it has been affecting adoption of RHEL by businesses (I know of cases myself where fairly large businesses chose Centos over RHEL since they found it's less expensive to hire some Centos experts than to pay for RHEL support for hundreds of servers) .

So to me it looks like Redhat 'bought' Centos in order to change Centos into something that doesn't directly affect their revenues anymore. dry.gif

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Jan 9 2014, 07:06 AM
Quote Post

Retired SLF Administrator

Member No.: 2

While CentOS delivers a distribution with strong community support ...

Well ... I do not want to start a war here, but I do not completely agree with this.
Development is not done by the community like Fedora but by a small closed group. And the only support is that there is comes from their forums.
And given the rumours we hear on how things go on their forums, the word "strong" should be taken differently.

But, having said that, I congratulate the CentOS team on the good news.
There is a saying, if you can't beat them, join buy them wink.gif

--------------------
"Sometimes the best helping hand you can give is a good, firm push."
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Jan 11 2014, 12:00 AM
Quote Post

SLF Inceptor

snip////

CODE
[quote]The two also have very different focuses. While CentOS delivers a distribution with strong community support, Red Hat Enterprise Linux provides a stable enterprise platform with a focus on security, reliability, and performance[/QUOTE]
And this is clearly what Redhat's wish is for what Centos should become, but it's not the current reality.

The current reality is that Centos provides a stable enterprise platform with a focus on security, reliability, and performance just like RHEL and it has become so popular due to it being reliably 100%  compatible with RHEL that it has been affecting adoption of RHEL by businesses (I know of cases myself where fairly large businesses chose Centos over RHEL since they found it's less expensive to hire some Centos experts than to pay for RHEL support for hundreds of servers) .

So to me it looks like Redhat 'bought' Centos in order to change Centos into something that doesn't directly affect their revenues anymore.[/quote]

This makes the most sense to me, Tux.

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
Nexus 4 //Android
^
joutlan
 Posted: Jan 13 2014, 08:08 PM
Quote Post

SLF Inceptor

Also, they'll have a hard time "buying up" SL as the programmers are FERMI LAB employees...(Govt Owned)

--------------------
Nexus 4 //Android
^
John Cuppi
 Posted: Jan 14 2014, 03:58 AM
Quote Post

SLF Admin Team

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (tux99 @ Jan 8 2014, 06:17 PM)
So to me it looks like Redhat 'bought' Centos in order to change Centos into something that doesn't directly affect their revenues anymore.  dry.gif

I saw the same thing you did and came to similar conclusions... we'll just have to see.

Also, they'll have a hard time "buying up" SL as the programmers are FERMI LAB employees...(Govt Owned)

Correct, although if you remember Dawson was hired by Red Hat and he left his job with Fermi Lab. Not sure if they made him a job offer or he applied, but still.
PMUsers Website
^
joutlan
 Posted: Jan 14 2014, 08:25 PM
Quote Post

SLF Inceptor

JC, I think Troy was brainwashed by FERMI prior to leaving. Troy, if you're reading this old buddy, j/k !! http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b390/pep_133/smileys/rofl.gif?t=1241899258

--------------------
Nexus 4 //Android
^
Viper550
 Posted: Jan 15 2014, 12:20 AM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Member No.: 129

QUOTE (Jcink @ Jan 13 2014, 08:58 PM)
Correct, although if you remember Dawson was hired by Red Hat and he left his job with Fermi Lab. Not sure if they made him a job offer or he applied, but still.

Actually I think it was more about cloud computing stuff, not EL
PM
^
Screwballl
 Posted: Apr 26 2014, 10:09 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Member No.: 3067

This is also how things came to so many problems with *nix in the late 80s... big companies buying up and trying to commercialize (and use proprietary code) anything using unix code, to the point some would license it and sell it, suing anyone who used similar code.
Linux is about the community working independently, not answering to some big company who is buckling to pressure from big brother groups to compromise our security and privacy (which seems to be what is happening with most of the major distros like RH, Ubuntu, etc).
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll