Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Lightweight graphical environment, Neither Gnome nor KDE
AlYuSed
 Posted: Aug 20 2017, 12:47 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3913

How to get some lightweight desktop environment right after the installation? Unfortunately, the setup of Scientific Linux is not very informative. Do I understand correctly that if I choose a minimal installation, I do not get any graphical environment? It's too harsh for me. smile.gif DistroWatch claims that Scientific Linux includes IceWM. Is it possible to install Scientific Linux with IceWM running immediately after installation procedure?
PMEmail Poster
^
inittux
 Posted: Aug 21 2017, 02:49 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Group: Members
Member No.: 953

QUOTE (AlYuSed @ Aug 20 2017, 01:47 PM)
How to get some lightweight desktop environment right after the installation? Unfortunately, the setup of Scientific Linux is not very informative. Do I understand correctly that if I choose a minimal installation, I do not get any graphical environment? It's too harsh for me. smile.gif DistroWatch claims that Scientific Linux includes IceWM. Is it possible to install Scientific Linux with IceWM running immediately after installation procedure?

You would have to install a third party repository, see this thread for info about third party repos and my signature
has some other useful links wink.gif

Looks like after installing the system you would have to install the 3rd party epel repo:

CODE

yum install epel-release

Then I would advise to either use protectbase or priorities to protect the base SL repository. See als my signature for links to info about those. Then you can install the packages you need/want, I did a quick search and these are the ones that are avaiable:

icewm-clearlooks.noarch : Clearlooks like theme for IceWM
icewm-debuginfo.x86_64 : Debug information for package icewm
icewm-gnome.x86_64 : GNOME menu support for IceWM window manager
icewm-xdgmenu.noarch : Automatically generate the main IceWM menu
icewm.x86_64 : Light and configurable window manager

Are those the ones you are looking for?

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll