Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> SL partition on MacBook
nerdplant
 Posted: Aug 13 2016, 09:57 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3742

Not sure if this should go here or the "new linux users" board since I've barely used Linux in the past, but here goes...

I have an old 2008 MacBook (with Snow Leopard) that I'd like to create a SL partition on (to dual-boot between it and OSX) to experiment with. After quite a while searching, I'm having a difficult time trying to find any tutorials that are specific to installing SL on a MacBook. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

First I need to actually download the SL7.2 release to put on a USB stick--I'm guessing the "SL-7.2-Everything-Dual-Layer-DVD-x86_64-2016-02-02.iso" one since it's the largest?

Then I need to use Disk Utility to partition my hard drive, but I've read some people say to use FAT format and others that say to make it "free space". Is one better than the other?

After that, I'm not sure what happens. I found these two tutorials
http://lifehacker.com/5934942/how-to-dual-boot-linux-on-your-mac-and-take-back-your-powerhouse-apple-hardware
http://www.howtogeek.com/187410/how-to-install-and-dual-boot-linux-on-a-mac/
but they are both for installing Ubuntu, not SL. Would either of these work, or is there something else I should do from here?
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Aug 16 2016, 08:46 AM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

Hi there :-)

what i'd do:

1. make backup of all the data you'd feel bad about if lost
2. use disk partitioner and create an empty disk partition - doesn't have to be formated in any way, also make sure the partition is primary
3. for install purposes - 'everything' has simply 'everything', otherwise, DVD1 is usually enough
4. the grub should automatically add other system (mac) to the grub boot menu - if not, you got to add it there yourself after install is finished
5. make sure you install to to right, free partition

luck! :-)

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
nerdplant
 Posted: Aug 18 2016, 04:14 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Thank you! On a sort of related note, I just read about being about to boot SL from a USB drive rather than partitioning my MacBook's hard drive--that seems pretty convenient (at least while I'm just playing around with it). Does it matter which iso I would use to do this? Does it need to be one of the LiveCD or LiveDVD ones or does the "everything" one work here as well?
PM
^
burakkucat
 Posted: Aug 18 2016, 02:30 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Member No.: 14

If you wish to keep your hard drive intact whilst just testing Scientific Linux, you should use one of the Live ISO images . . . either the LiveCD or the LiveDVD.

--------------------
user posted image 100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.
PMUsers Website
^
nerdplant
 Posted: Aug 19 2016, 03:46 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (burakkucat @ Aug 18 2016, 09:30 AM)
If you wish to keep your hard drive intact whilst just testing Scientific Linux, you should use one of the Live ISO images . . . either the LiveCD or the LiveDVD.

Thank you--keeping my hard drive intact would be nice! I grabbed one of the LiveDVD iso's and I'm attempting to use the "Mac Linux USB Loader" application to put it on my usb drive. It succeeded, but then an "enterprise.cfg" file popped up saying the following:

CODE
# enterprise.cfg
#
# This file is used to configure Enterprise. You need to fill out the following parameters according to how your desired Linux distribution configures its ISO file.

entry Custom Linux
kernel /path/to/kernel ...
initrd /path/to/initrd
# Please see https://sevenbits.github.io/Enterprise/ for more information.

I need to add something after "entry", "kernel" and "initrd", but I have no idea what that would be since all the usb drive has now are boot.efi, boot.iso, and bootX64.efi in efi/boot/. Any idea what I should write?

(Sorry for so many questions, but it looks like I'm almost there!)
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Aug 21 2016, 02:35 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Member No.: 4

Hi,
i'd like to help, but don't have a much experience with macbook (never even saw one ..) and so i dunno about the mac loader, ehh..

someone else's gotta chime in here, or you could try to write mail to the SL mailing list - the devs + other experienced ppl read it, so bigger chance to get the answer you need ..

cheers :-)

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
nerdplant
 Posted: Aug 21 2016, 03:43 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Thank you both for helping me out. I finally was able to make the bootable USB using the steps in this video, just in case anyone else wants to know in the future.

It boots to the SL desktop so far, but it doesn't appear to have persistence between sessions. That's not a big deal right now, but does anyone know an easy fix for this?
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll