Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> KDM, would like to know if KDM will be added
sunglant
 Posted: Jun 3 2016, 05:00 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3319

I work for a company that uses Linux, and one of the continued questions is why do we need all the packages on the systems. It appears even with kde install GDM integrates a plethora of packages that we used to be able to remove using KDM. Everything I have seen is that RHEL refuses to utilize SDM or LDM or KDM and pushed GDM which causes full integration with packages not needed. I think it would be beneficial if there was a way to replace GDM with some more controllable and customizable Desktop Manager. Unfortunately we have COTS products that require GUI on the servers, and for that reason I am stuck keeping packages I cannot remove or I break either the APP or the GUI, which used to be functional when KDM was offered.

I have already opened a report with RHEL and they are unwilling to add any of the lighter weight desktop managers as GNOME is the desktop of preference. I have explained that servers should not have media players, wireless, and other apps and they need to provide a simple gui or desktop manager with gui for servers that allows for removal of those integrated components.

So I am putting out the request for help if anyone has ever replaced GDM with KDM or other that will allow streamlining the junk added by Gnome.

Thank you
PMEmail Poster
^
helikaon
 Posted: Jun 6 2016, 12:26 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (sunglant @ Jun 3 2016, 05:00 PM)
I work for a company that uses Linux, and one of the continued questions is why do we need all the packages on the systems.  It appears even with kde install GDM integrates a plethora of packages that we used to be able to remove using KDM. Everything I have seen is that RHEL refuses to utilize SDM or LDM or KDM and pushed GDM which causes full integration with packages not needed.  I think it would be beneficial if there was a way to replace GDM with some more controllable and customizable Desktop Manager. Unfortunately we have COTS products that require GUI on the servers, and for that reason I am stuck keeping packages I cannot remove or I break either the APP or the GUI, which used to be functional when KDM was offered.

I have already opened a report with RHEL and they are unwilling to add any of the lighter weight desktop managers as GNOME is the desktop of preference. I have explained that servers should not have media players, wireless, and other apps and they need to provide a simple gui or desktop manager with gui for servers that allows for removal of those integrated components.

So I am putting out the request for help if anyone has ever replaced GDM with KDM or other that will allow streamlining the junk added by Gnome.

Thank you

Hi,
as bad as it sounds and as bad as it is, i think that RH removed all DMs with GDM exception from RHEL7. So i dont have any 'good' answer for you unfortunately.
You could have a look around to eg. fedora 20 and use/recompile DMs available there (like i think LDM), otherwise, you're stuck with GDM while having SL7/RHEL7.

cheers

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll