Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> fail to open rpm in package manager
himhim2001
 Posted: Aug 29 2017, 01:05 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3773

I tried to install skype on my PC installed with SL 7.3. I downloaded the rpm file from their website. Yet I cannot open the file with the gnome package manger. I was able to install skype with yum, yet I would like to know what went wrong.

Can anyone help. Thanks
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: Aug 30 2017, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 953

QUOTE (himhim2001 @ Aug 29 2017, 02:05 PM)
I tried to install skype on my PC installed with SL 7.3. I downloaded the rpm file from their website. Yet I cannot open the file with the gnome package manger. I was able to install skype with yum, yet I would like to know what went wrong.

Can anyone help. Thanks

You mean yumex? I tried it via yumex so seems to be working fine, so you must be running into something? It would helpful if you told us what errors you are getting when trying to open/install it with the gnome package manager and what steps you are taking. Can't read your mind wink.gif

--------------------
PM
^
himhim2001
 Posted: Aug 31 2017, 01:43 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

QUOTE (inittux @ Aug 31 2017, 03:41 AM)

You mean yumex? I tried it via yumex so seems to be working fine, so you must be running into something? It would helpful if you told us what errors you are getting when trying to open/install it with the gnome package manager and what steps you are taking. Can't read your mind wink.gif

I don't know what package manager I'm using. I just use the built-in one. All it said in the application menu is "Application installer". When I double click the file, it said "Sorry this did not work The file is not supported".

screenshot:
http://imgur.com/282D16O
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: Aug 31 2017, 07:59 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Could you shrink that screenshot or just link the url, it's taking up the whole page. Where in the menu are you opening it from Applications -->?? -->??

Do you have the epel repository enabled?

--------------------
PM
^
himhim2001
 Posted: Sep 1 2017, 01:28 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

QUOTE (inittux @ Sep 1 2017, 03:59 AM)
Could you shrink that screenshot or just link the url, it's taking up the whole page. Where in the menu are you opening it from Applications -->?? -->??

Sorry for the large picture size, I already fixed it. As for opening the application installer, it is under Applications-> System tools-> application installer

I have epel enabled as well as elrepo and rpmfusion
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: Sep 1 2017, 07:40 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

QUOTE (himhim2001 @ Sep 1 2017, 02:28 AM)
QUOTE (inittux @ Sep 1 2017, 03:59 AM)

Sorry for the large picture size, I already fixed it. As for opening the application installer, it is under Applications-> System tools-> application installer

I have epel enabled as well as elrepo and rpmfusion

I can't find "Application Installer" in my gnome menu, just "Software". If I were you I would just install yumex from epel. I tried installing skype from that and worked fine.

Summary : Yum Extender graphical package management tool

What SL7 iso did you use to install your system, might try installing a vm using that same iso to see the "Application Installer" you are talking about. Can't think of which one it could be.

Otherwise try installing "alacarte" , run the command "alacarte" from your terminal, then in the gui that appears go to: Applications-> System tools, select applications installer then select properties, then see what it says next to Command there?

--------------------
PM
^
himhim2001
 Posted: Sep 3 2017, 04:01 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Just to show what I mean
user posted image

I use a SL7.2 X86-64 iso then update to SL7.3 through yum.
The command to invoke "application installer" is "gnome-software %U"
For "software", that is "gpk-application"
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: Sep 3 2017, 08:58 AM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

I take it that you added the skype repo and then searched in the "Application-Installer" for skype, then clicked install and ending up with this error? When I try that it doesn't skype doesn't show up, but it does when I search for it under "Software" . Or how did you try to install skype via the "Application-Installer?"

Did you check /var/log/messages for any errors?

--------------------
PM
^
himhim2001
 Posted: Sep 3 2017, 09:18 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

QUOTE (inittux @ Sep 3 2017, 04:58 PM)
I take it that you added the skype repo and then searched in the "Application-Installer"  for skype, then clicked install and ending up with this error? When I try that it doesn't skype doesn't show up, but it does when I search for it under "Software" . Or how did you try to install skype via the "Application-Installer?"

Did you check /var/log/messages for any errors?

So I went to https://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/ and download the rpm file. Then double click the file.

I ended using
CODE
yum install skypeforlinux-64.rpm

As for /var/log/messages:
CODE
Sep  3 17:12:43 hugosl PackageKit: get-details-local transaction /682_bbaaeeba from uid 1000 finished with success after 253ms
Sep  3 17:12:43 hugosl gnome-software-service.desktop: 09:12:43:0890 Gs  failed to call gs_plugin_file_to_app on packagekit-local: GetFilesLocal not supported by backend
Sep  3 17:12:43 hugosl gnome-software-service.desktop: 09:12:43:0896 Gs  failed to convert to GsApp: no application was created for /home/hleung/Downloads/skypeforlinux-64.rpm
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: Sep 3 2017, 11:00 AM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

I updated my test system and I seem to be having the same problem. It must be related
to this bugzilla issue even though the issue is for version 7.4

--------------------
PM
^
himhim2001
 Posted: Sep 3 2017, 12:02 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

QUOTE (inittux @ Sep 3 2017, 07:00 PM)
I updated my test system and I seem to be having the same problem. It  must be related

So I guess the conclusion is forget about gnome-software and use yum directly. Thanks anyway.
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: Sep 3 2017, 12:10 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

QUOTE (himhim2001 @ Sep 3 2017, 01:02 PM)
QUOTE (inittux @ Sep 3 2017, 07:00 PM)
I updated my test system and I seem to be having the same problem. It  must be related

So I guess the conclusion is forget about gnome-software and use yum directly. Thanks anyway.

If you want to use a graphical installer you can use yumex.

yum install yumex (from EPEL)

Enable the skype repository by adding it to /etc/yum.repos.d/

CODE

[skype-stable]
name=skype (stable)
baseurl=https://repo.skype.com/rpm/stable/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=https://repo.skype.com/data/SKYPE-GPG-KEY

Then open yumex via the menu and search for skype, and then select the package "skypeforlinux" and click apply to install.

--------------------
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll