Scientific Linux Forum.org

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> OpenStack on Scientific Linux on 6.4 ?'s, Vitualbox or? Suggestions?
GCambio
 Posted: Dec 13 2013, 03:40 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2849

This will be running in VirtualBox on a Win7 Pro PC with [intel i5 quad core 3ghz] with 16G RAM...

Anyone got ideas on what I can accomplish with this?

Like... can I serve video files from an external drive that is formatted in NTFS on the host Win PC?

I assume it would be trivial to host a web page... what else can I 'do' with this setup...

And...

how much resource will OpenStack, Linux VM, and the host OS consume?
Can I get away with only allocating 8G of Ram to the Linux VM that Openstack is installed on?
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Dec 13 2013, 03:49 PM
Quote Post

Retired SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

First of all, welcome to our forum.
I have moved your topic to another subforum wink.gif

It all comes down to how much resources you want to allocate to this VM and what is will do.
How much processor capacity? How much memory? And what will be the workload for the allocated processor capacity? Will it be a website only serving files and static data (like sound files, images, etc.) or will it be dynamic with some sort of CMS together with a database (MySQL or MariaDB? Postgresql?).

--------------------
"Sometimes the best helping hand you can give is a good, firm push."
PM
^
GCambio
 Posted: Dec 13 2013, 03:57 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2849

It is a learning environment...

I barely know how to install SL. But, I'm good at installing stuff I have no idea how to use.

I don't even think I would be able to make a permanent presence of this available to anyone outside my own LAN. I have just a regular TWC connection.

Could I use NAT on my wifi router to get outside connections?
And if I could, should I? How likely would it be that I would be probed by untoward webizens?

PS. I put it in "New Linux users questions" because this thread will have a lot of 'new user' kind of questions.

This post has been edited by GCambio: Dec 13 2013, 04:02 PM
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll