> SL 7.4 hangs after install, nothing happens after DVD reboots
squeen
 Posted: Nov 9 2017, 01:08 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2956

Hello,

I am installing 7.4 from DVD onto a HP Z820 system. Using the installer, I wipe everything, select graphical development system, check the drive partitioning (using the suggested Logical Volume defaults over all the disks) and let it install.

After the installer is done, I reboot the system (removing the DVD when it pops out) and wait....forever.

After HP BIOS screens go by, I never seen the grub2 boot menu, just a flashing underscore cursor in the upper left of the screen. Tried multiple reboots---same result.

I used the Troubleshooting option on the DVD to investigate. It mounted the system under /mnt/sysimage and I chroot into it to poke around. Looks like everything is there.

The workstation has four SAS drives and I think they are UEFI (the default partitioning created a boot/efi partition).

I just did a similar 7.4 install last week using the exact same procedure on another HP workstation, but with a single (new) SAS drive. It went fine. What gives?

I've tried this twice not with the same result. We've also had a similar issue with 7.4 on other workstation in the past. The solution then was to install 7.3 and then upgrade.

Any ideas what might be going wrong? Which logs could I look into (in the chroot recovery mode)?

Thanks in advance.
PM
^
squeen
 Posted: Nov 9 2017, 01:36 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

I found this post about grub2 (see last post).

https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52228#p249230

Not sure how to handle the reinstall of grub2 on a fresh system---haven't messed with "Live" DVD's before.
PM
^
squeen
 Posted: Nov 9 2017, 01:55 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

I used the systemd (ugh!) journalctl function to view logs (god I miss 6.x!), and found the following after the first boot (in red)

iscsid[716]: iSCSI daemon with pid=718 started!
iscsid[716]: can't open InitiatorName configuration file /etc/iscsi/initiatorname.iscsi
WHOLE BUNCH OF OTHER STUFF (no errors)
rpcbind[505]: cannot open file = /run/rpcbind/rpcbind.xdr for writing
rpcbind[505]: cannot save any registration
rpcbind[505]: cannot open file = /run/rpcbind/portmap.xdr for writing
rpcbind[505]: cannot save any registration

I've got no clue.
PM
^
squeen
 Posted: Nov 10 2017, 02:40 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Tried just about evrything. Disabled EFI in the BIOS. Try installing 7.1. Removed HDD and replace with a single drive. Tried setting to IDE mode in BIOS.

Nada.
PM
^
squeen
 Posted: Nov 10 2017, 02:51 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Reinstalled 6.4 from an old DVD.

Boots right up no problem.

Ugh! What have they done to our OS?
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll