Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3483

Hi All

OK I have ubuntu 14.04 LTS installed as a dual boot with windows

I have downloaded version SL 7 and created an iso DVD

So I need to get rid of ubuntu and replace with SL7 and keep windows7

Please can I have help where to go from here?

Thanks in advance

Simrec
PMEmail Poster
^
redman
 Posted: Jul 1 2015, 06:09 PM
Quote Post

Retired SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

Let me start by saying that I have no recent experience with setting up a dual-boot.

But if you installed Ubuntu, it shouldn't be major different with SL.
Just make sure you select the same partition you used for Ubuntu (assuming it is one partition).

--------------------
"Sometimes the best helping hand you can give is a good, firm push."
PM
^
simrec
 Posted: Jul 2 2015, 05:43 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (redman @ Jul 1 2015, 06:09 PM)
Let me start by saying that I have no recent experience with setting up a dual-boot.

But if you installed Ubuntu, it shouldn't be major different with SL.
Just make sure you select the same partition you used for Ubuntu (assuming it is one partition).

Hi

Thnaks for the reply

I created an ISO DVD following Ubuntu instructions and it handled everything for me so although I know what partitions are I don't know how to deal with them . Also I need to get rid of the Ubuntu installation first.

I am very nervous as on my laptop I lost my windows installation and cant afford for that to happen on the desktop

I reall need some idiot proof step by step instructions as to what to do with my SL7 ISO DVD

Please bear in mind that I am not that clever

Thanks
PMEmail Poster
^
igadoter
 Posted: Jul 2 2015, 01:06 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 3337

Hi,

If you really care about your Windows installation, and there is no person around to help you, then I would suggest to use Virtual Box, and try to install SL on virtual machine running under Windows. Once you will teach yourself all installation process, you may try then to install SL as second operational system, along Windows.

I will never take myself responsibility to guide you through all dual-boot installation process. If you care so much not only for your personal data on Windows system, but also system itself, then you should consider also to create image of the partition where Windows is located. This way even, if something goes wrong, say sudden power-off during installation, which may cause complete lost of data on hard drive, you will be able to restore Windows from that partition copy.

But I am rather sure that for you at this moment the best solution is to use Virtual Box which is very friendly application, running Linux in virtual machine does not harm Windows. So, Windows be safe, you will have SL, when running SL you will decide do you really need separate SL installation.

The other possibility you may try is to install SL on USB stick. If your machine is able to boot system from USB.

Personally I have 4-boot installation, four different systems, three Linux'es and Windows. But I don't care about Windows, is only for game play. Data from all other systems are being systematically archived. In case Linux go down, I will reinstall it, and restore all data from archives. At this moment Linux is free, so I can install and reinstall it as many times as I want to. The only I care are my personal data.

But well, I started to use Linux in 2004, with the first system Slackware 9.1. And then I grow up with Linux. I suffered several crashes, and painful lost of many precious files. unsure.gif
PMEmail Poster
^
simrec
 Posted: Jul 3 2015, 06:54 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (igadoter @ Jul 2 2015, 01:06 PM)
Hi,

If you really care about your Windows installation, and there is no person around to help you, then I would suggest to use Virtual Box, and try to  install SL on virtual machine running under Windows. Once you will teach yourself all installation process,  you may try then to install SL as second operational system, along Windows.

I will never take myself responsibility to guide you through all dual-boot installation process.  If you care so much not only for your personal data on Windows system, but also system itself, then you should consider also to create image of the partition where Windows is located. This way even, if something goes wrong, say sudden power-off during installation, which may cause complete lost of data on hard drive, you will be able to restore Windows from that partition copy. 

But I am rather sure that for you at this moment the best solution is to use Virtual Box which is very friendly application, running Linux in virtual machine does not harm Windows.  So, Windows be safe, you will have SL, when running SL you will decide do you really need separate SL installation. 

The other possibility you may try is to install SL on USB stick. If your machine is able to boot system from USB. 

Personally I have 4-boot installation, four different systems, three Linux'es and Windows. But I don't care about Windows, is only for game play. Data from all other systems are being systematically archived. In case Linux go down, I will reinstall it, and restore all data from archives. At this moment Linux is free, so I can install and reinstall it as many times as I want to. The only I care are my personal data.

But well, I started to use Linux in 2004, with the first system Slackware 9.1.  And then I grow up with Linux. I suffered several crashes, and painful lost of many precious files.  unsure.gif

Thanks for your reply

Please can you give instructions on how to install virtual box?

I may try the usb stick

Simrec
PMEmail Poster
^
simrec
 Posted: Jul 3 2015, 11:39 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (simrec @ Jul 3 2015, 06:54 AM)
Hi,

If you really care about your Windows installation, and there is no person around to help you, then I would suggest to use Virtual Box, and try to  install SL on virtual machine running under Windows. Once you will teach yourself all installation process,  you may try then to install SL as second operational system, along Windows.

I will never take myself responsibility to guide you through all dual-boot installation process.  If you care so much not only for your personal data on Windows system, but also system itself, then you should consider also to create image of the partition where Windows is located. This way even, if something goes wrong, say sudden power-off during installation, which may cause complete lost of data on hard drive, you will be able to restore Windows from that partition copy. 

But I am rather sure that for you at this moment the best solution is to use Virtual Box which is very friendly application, running Linux in virtual machine does not harm Windows.  So, Windows be safe, you will have SL, when running SL you will decide do you really need separate SL installation.  

But well, I started to use Linux in 2004, with the first system Slackware 9.1.  And then I grow up with Linux. I suffered several crashes, and painful lost of many precious files.   unsure.gif

Thanks for your reply

Please can you give instructions on how to install virtual box?

I may try the usb stick

Simrec

PMEmail Poster
^
igadoter
 Posted: Jul 3 2015, 11:57 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Hi,

Virtual Box is software provided by Oracle. So you will find it with ease, simply go to Oracle web site. For Windows Virtual Box is provided with installer. So, you only have to download file, click twice on it , and follow installation procedure. By default Virtual Box will install under C:\Program Files\.

Installer will create icon on desktop and entry in Start -> Programs. You can run Virtual Box by clicking on icon on the desktop.

Installation on virtual machine essentially looks the same as usual installation process. Virtual Box can read directly from DVD. Defining virtual machine is very easy, there are only a few parameters which need to be set, memory size, virtual hard drive size, graphic card, network card. But all this you will find simple to do, and notice most important thing, if something goes wrong you can delete existing virtual machine and start again.

Virtual Box has simple and friendly GUI. And exhaustive help system, suited for beginners and advanced users.

REMARK: If you are booting Ubuntu and Windows, with grub bootloader, then do not remove Ubuntu, before fixing bootloader. Grub is using data stored on partition where Ubuntu is located, if you would remove this partition, or would reformat it, grub will be unable to boot, returning error, during booting the computer.

It is very common mistake made by people 'who want to try Linux' and 'they heard Ubuntu is very friendly for users`. They install Ubuntu, Ubuntu installs grub for dual-boot with Windows, often then Ubuntu is removed - without restoring Windows native bootloader. Which causes grub to fail to boot Windows.
Myself I helped such person. Windows XP + Ubuntu.

So, if you unsure - does grub is installed or not, do not touch Ubuntu. Or you are able to restore native Windows bootloader. But in this I can't help you.
ENDREMARK

Installing SL on USB is good solution.

If you will install everything from SL 7 , then I guess 16GB USB is minimum.
PMEmail Poster
^
simrec
 Posted: Jul 3 2015, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Hi,

But well, I started to use Linux in 2004, with the first system Slackware 9.1.  And then I grow up with Linux. I suffered several crashes, and painful lost of many precious files.   unsure.gif

I installed SL7 onto a 64GB USB (it took 4 hours)

The first time I booted I got the SL7 to start booting but got a message:

??? disabled by BIOS where ?? was 3 letters that I cant recall but may have been DVM

Now when I run it I get the following
"Generating /run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt"
Entering emergency mode
Exit the shell to continue
Type "journalctl" to view system logs
You might want to save /run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt to USB

So I typed journalctl and browsed it. There were 3 red lines in there as follows
Failed to mount /sysroot
Dependancy failed for Initrd root file system
Dependance failed for reload configuration from the real root

[Moderator edited to fix the broken quotation. wink.gif ]

This post has been edited by simrec: Jul 3 2015, 09:06 PM
PMEmail Poster
^
redman
 Posted: Jul 4 2015, 02:40 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (igadoter @ Jul 2 2015, 03:06 PM)

This option means using an USB stick for storage instead of the harddisk.
Not all USB sticks can be used for this purpose and you will decrease its life span.

Simrec, what is on the Windows installation that is so important?
If it is data, you can make backups in case you screw up (excuse the languages).
When it is about software, do you have someone who could reinstall Windows for you?

When we spoke about this problem challenge before, you mentioned having a laptop.
Can you use that one for SL? It would allow you to test/play around first.
And if things aren't working properly, you can easily reinstall.

--------------------
PM
^
simrec
 Posted: Jul 4 2015, 04:04 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (redman @ Jul 4 2015, 02:40 PM)
QUOTE (igadoter @ Jul 2 2015, 03:06 PM)

This option means using an USB stick for storage instead of the harddisk.
Not all USB sticks can be used for this purpose and you will decrease its life span.

Simrec, what is on the Windows installation that is so important? A bridge program that can only be run under windows and which is essential I have
If it is data, you can make backups in case you screw up (excuse the languages). No data
When it is about software, do you have someone who could reinstall Windows for you? Yes

When we spoke about this problem challenge before, you mentioned having a laptop.
Can you use that one for SL? It would allow you to test/play around first. How will this help as I only have Ubuntu on laptop (I lost windows when I installed this sad.gif My problem is getting it loaded on the other system as a dual boot)
And if things aren't working properly, you can easily reinstall.

Also why won't VBox read my ISO disk? And in windows the Vbox jusr refuses to open the set up SL7 environment

Thanks for help but I seem to be stymied at every turn I take sad.gif
PMEmail Poster
^
redman
 Posted: Jul 4 2015, 04:28 PM
Quote Post

My idea was to get used to the installer on the laptop. If that screws up, you loose nothing.
Can you get Windows on the laptop and run bridge from there? That would leave the desktop free for Linux.

Given the fact that you are new to this, using VB might be more complicated than using a real machine.
I do not know what VB does not read the disc.

--------------------
PM
^
simrec
 Posted: Jul 4 2015, 05:25 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (redman @ Jul 4 2015, 04:28 PM)
My idea was to get used to the installer on the laptop. If that screws up, you loose nothing.
Can you get Windows on the laptop and run bridge from there? That would leave the desktop free for Linux.

Given the fact that you are new to this, using VB might be more complicated than using a real machine.
I do not know what VB does not read the disc.

OK I tried the install disk on the laptop

I got the screen to install SL7 (or test it and another option I think)

I took the install option

I got a screen with 4 penguins

And then NOTHING! black screen (I waited 15 minutes and still nothing)

PMEmail Poster
^
igadoter
 Posted: Jul 4 2015, 07:52 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

QUOTE (simrec @ Jul 4 2015, 06:04 PM)
Also why won't VBox read my ISO disk? And in windows the Vbox jusr refuses to open the set up SL7 environment
[/color]

VB can read from iso image, or to read from DVD, but to do you have to set 'passthrough' option, this has to be set before starting virtual machine.
PMEmail Poster
^
igadoter
 Posted: Jul 4 2015, 08:07 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

QUOTE (simrec @ Jul 4 2015, 07:25 PM)

It looks like problem with graphic card. I am guessing that installer is using vesa driver, which works for most laptops. When booting installed system, hardware is being detected, and system tries to load correct driver, however this autodetection for graphic hardware is not perfect, the loaded graphic driver can be wrong, or it does not work with you hardware configuration.

PMEmail Poster
^
simrec
 Posted: Jul 5 2015, 01:32 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (igadoter @ Jul 4 2015, 08:07 PM)
QUOTE (simrec @ Jul 4 2015, 07:25 PM)

It looks like problem with graphic card. I am guessing that installer is using vesa driver, which works for most laptops. When booting installed system, hardware is being detected, and system tries to load correct driver, however this autodetection for graphic hardware is not perfect, the loaded graphic driver can be wrong, or it does not work with you hardware configuration.

It wasnt the card it was the BIOS (EMI??) i changed the BIOS and it started OK

But now it wont let me reclaim space. I take the option, select partition to delete and click "done"

It then says "Error checking storage configuration"
PMEmail Poster
^
redman
 Posted: Jul 6 2015, 10:36 AM
Quote Post

This could be related to the fact that it has a GPT partition table instead of MBR.
A friend of mine bought a new pc with Windows 8 and I had trouble installing SL6 on it.
After I removed the GPT table I could reformat and install flawless.

Simrec, if you can restore windows on the machine, you might be able to remove that.
This article shows in several steps how to clean the disk using Windows.
In your case the easiest way since you do not need to download a live CD/DVD and use the console.
If this works, you should be able to do a clean SL7 install on the machine.

I am sorry this journey is a bumpy one, but I am sure we will get you there wink.gif

--------------------
PM
^
tech4tall
 Posted: Nov 14 2015, 08:34 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 3566

You should be very careful on this. My suggestion is to install SL on a virtual environment and play around a while. I have done this before and learnt my lessons. The dual boot works fine in the beginning. However the whole computer crashed without any notice and I lost all the data on the computer.

However, when you get used to Linux, then it's more safe with a dual boot.

--------------------
Linux dev with Python & QT | Webmaster of a small site focus on Android
PM
^
+X^N
 Posted: Nov 16 2015, 08:05 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 2581

QUOTE (tech4tall @ Nov 14 2015, 03:34 AM)

<snip>
However, when you get used to Linux, then it's more safe with a dual boot.

Quite right !
Beware that GRUB2 in SL 7x does not add your pre-existing Wind install to the boot menu automatically ,
as GRUB (legacy) did in SL 6x
{search on this forum for more info}
Also , UEFI / Secure boot ! is less friendly to linux than the "older" BIOS systems;
you usually have to disable the secure boot ;
{again search here for more info}.
I like to use the live SL (D-L first here: http://www.livecd.ethz.ch/).
Burn to either a DVD in Wind via free cdrtools Frontend (D-L here: http://cdrtfe.sourceforge.net/cdrtfe/index_en.html) ;
or "burn" to an USB via free Fedora liveusb-creator - with no persistance (D-L here: https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/).
Then pre-partition the HDDs (making sure to "save" my Windows install & data) via GParted.
{search on this forum for more info}

<Please , more experienced users _ correct , & add to this info.>
I put SL 6x - dual boot - with pre_existing Wind 7 _ on my g.f. BIOS system about a year ago without any issues.
I have been using Wind for CAD on a non-dual boot system , and have have numerous chashes ;
a few days ago - just got a bad virus that masqueraded as a Java update notice in the system tray
that deleted programs installed in an extra partition. I am still dealing with that !
Best regards in your computing adventures.

--------------------
DELL Precision 470 Workstation Xeon 3.2GHz (x2) , 2GB ECC ram ;
DELL UltraSharp 2007WFPb (L) ips monitor
Dual boot :1st installed: WinXPPro & then SL6.4 x86_64 - via 2 'everything' DVD s { GRUB going into the SL6.4 partition } ;
Updated to 6.5 via DVD s

& Steelcase vintage / old-school stenographers seat (made in Grand Rapids , MI , USA)
PMUsers Website
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll