> NVMe driver?, Does SL have NVMe driver, or when can I
Crystal Cowboy
 Posted: Jul 18 2013, 03:55 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Group: Members
Member No.: 835

Samsung lifts lid on 1.6TB flash whopper spaffing data at 3GB/s

NVMe stands for Non-Volatile Memory Express, and is a standardised protocol for applications to access data stored on PCIe-connected SSDs via a software driver. Currently each PCIe SSD on the market has its own data access protocol and needs its own specific driver. By standardising on the NVMe protocol, only one host operating system driver is needed to access any manufacturer's NVMe-compliant SSD.

This product has some amazing specs. Does SL6 have driver support for NVMe? If not, when can we expect to get such a driver?
PM
^
toracat
 Posted: Jul 19 2013, 01:43 AM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 11

From what I've read, it looks like NVMe was added to kernel 3.3. Unless this is backported to the upstream (RHEL) kernel, SL6 (2.6.32) will not have it. But it will most likely be in RHEL/SL-7.

If you wish to test the performance of NVMe on SL6, I suggest you install kernel-ml from ELRepo. Its version is 3.10.x at this moment.

--------------------
ELRepo: repository specializing in hardware support for EL
PMUsers Website
^
Crystal Cowboy
 Posted: Nov 22 2013, 08:41 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Member No.: 835

Red Hat 6.5

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.5 stays current with the advancements in Solid-State Drive (SSD) controller interface, introducing support for NVM Express (NVMe)-based SSDs. The NVMe specification aims to standardize the interface for PCIe-based SSDs and its inclusion in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.5 positions the platform to support an expanding range of future NVMe-based devices.

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll