Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Resizing directories, "root" has reserved too much data
World Domination Studios
 Posted: Feb 26 2016, 05:15 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3413

Problem: When I installed SL, "root" reserved roughly half of the damn hard drive, which it has no use for and which I now cannot access. Now there's not enough space in "home" for me to install the programs that I need to install. I need to shrink the size of "root" and give the extra space to "home". How do I do this?
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Feb 27 2016, 11:03 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 224

There is no straightforward answer to this as it depends on your setup.

The following documentation by Redhat might help you:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/pdf/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-7-Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration-en-US.pdf

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
World Domination Studios
 Posted: Feb 27 2016, 06:45 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Member No.: 3413

QUOTE (tux99 @ Feb 27 2016, 03:03 AM)

I used the "wipe everything and use the whole hard drive" option.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/pdf/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-7-Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration-en-US.pdf

I'm using SL6 and that documentation is for RHEL7, so no. It also suffers a horrendous case of tl;dr.
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: Feb 27 2016, 08:33 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 953

QUOTE (World Domination Studios @ Feb 27 2016, 07:45 PM)

I used the "wipe everything and use the whole hard drive" option.

I'm using SL6 and that documentation is for RHEL7, so no. It also suffers a horrendous case of tl;dr.

LVM is the same on rhel6 as it is on 7. You could try and shrink your root lv, that way you would have more space left in your vg and assign that to home, but backup your data before doing a resize/shrink of your root partition. Like tux99 said don't know how you have your partition structure setup.

Could you show us the output of:

detailed:

pvdisplay
vgdisplay
lvdisplay

and

basic:
pvs
vgs
lvs

--------------------
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Feb 27 2016, 08:42 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

Hi,

firstly, i think we're talking not about resizing directory, but resizing of filesystem, which resides either on a disk partition or a logical volume.
It depends how you designed your HDD layout during install.

Anyway, whether the FS resides on disk partition or logical volume, important thing is, it is a root filesystem.

Standard procedure for decreasing size of FS is, that you
1. un-mount the FS
2. decrease its size
3 re-mount the FS

But because this is root FS, you can not decrease its size while the OS is booted - you woudn't be able to umount it.
You need to use bootable CD and boot off it - this way no files will be open on the root FS residing on your HDD and you can safely decrease it's size, using respective commands related to your HDD layout.

you can read eg. here rhel / sl6 rescue mode usage

cheers,

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
inittux
 Posted: Feb 27 2016, 08:44 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

QUOTE (helikaon @ Feb 27 2016, 09:42 PM)
Hi,

firstly, i think we're talking not about resizing directory, but resizing of filesystem, which resides either on a  disk partition or a logical volume.
It depends how you designed your HDD layout during install.

Anyway, whether the FS resides on disk partition or logical volume, important thing is, it is a root filesystem.

Standard procedure for decreasing size of FS is, that you
1. un-mount the FS
2. decrease its size
3 re-mount the FS

But because this is root FS, you can not decrease its size while the OS is booted - you woudn't be able to umount it.
You need to use bootable CD and boot off it - this way no files will be open on the root FS residing on your HDD and you can safely decrease it's size, using respective commands related to your HDD layout.

you can read eg. here rhel / sl6 rescue mode usage

cheers,

oh yeah forgot bout that little detail about not being able to resize the root fs while mounted. It's saturday night so having my weekly dosage of fermented drinks wink.gif

--------------------
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Feb 27 2016, 09:27 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (inittux @ Feb 27 2016, 08:44 PM)

oh yeah forgot bout that little detail about not being able to resize the root fs while mounted. It's saturday night so having my weekly dosage of fermented drinks wink.gif

hmmm mmm now you've got me thinking about getting something for myself too smile.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
inittux
 Posted: Feb 27 2016, 09:29 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

QUOTE (helikaon @ Feb 27 2016, 10:27 PM)
QUOTE (inittux @ Feb 27 2016, 08:44 PM)

hmmm mmm now you've got me thinking about getting something for myself too smile.gif

*inittux passes a glass of whiskey to helikaon http://th166.photobucket.com/albums/u117/rdshear/Smiley%20Faces/th_smiley-face-thumbs-up.gif biggrin.gif Cheers!

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll