Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The Virtual Machine 4.1 problem on SL 6.1
imperfekt
 Posted: Feb 3 2014, 07:03 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2932

A few weeks back my kernel was upgraded, but I did not upgrade the Virtual Machine then. and it was running fine. When I use the command as root
CODE
# uname -r

I get the answer indicating my present kernel version as
2.6.32-131.6.1.el6.x86_64

Do not know what came upon me, today I upgraded the VM and now I cannot run the VM. Before recommending to me another post already existing on this forum, please understand that I have followed all steps and am really confused what to do and have been running around cyclically to solve the problem.

So when I type
CODE
$ virtualbox

I get the answer
The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
        available for the current kernel (2.6.32-131.6.1.el6.x86_64) or it failed to
        load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.

And when, as root, I ran
CODE
# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

I get the answer
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules                        [  OK  ]
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules            [  OK  ]
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMSError! echo
Your kernel headers for kernel 2.6.32-131.6.1.el6.x86_64 cannot be found at
/lib/modules/2.6.32-131.6.1.el6.x86_64/build or /lib/modules/2.6.32-131.6.1.el6.x86_64/source.
                                                          [FAILED]
  (Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules                      [FAILED]
  (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)

When I look at the /var/log/vbox-install.log file, I recieve:
Uninstalling modules from DKMS
  removing old DKMS module vboxhost version  4.1.30

------------------------------
Deleting module version: 4.1.30
completely from the DKMS tree.
------------------------------
Done.
Attempting to install using DKMS

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/4.1.30/source ->
                /usr/src/vboxhost-4.1.30

DKMS: add completed.
Failed to install using DKMS, attempting to install without
Makefile:172: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again.  Stop.

I have gone in the usr/src/kernel directory
CODE
# ls /usr/src/kernels

to find two kernel folders
2.6.32-131.0.15.el6.x86_64  2.6.32-131.4.1.el6.x86_64

So i understand that the 2.6.32-131.4.1.el6.x86_64 is the running kernel. For the " kernel headers can't be found" problem, i reinstalled both kernel-headers (and similarly kernel-devel) by using
CODE
# yum --enablerepo sl-security reinstall kernel-headers

And I get
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Setting up Reinstall Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package kernel-headers.x86_64 0:2.6.32-131.6.1.el6 will be reinstalled
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

========================================================================================================================
Package                      Arch                  Version                          Repository                  Size
========================================================================================================================
Reinstalling:
kernel-headers                x86_64                2.6.32-131.6.1.el6                sl-security                1.3 M

Transaction Summary
Reinstall    1 Package(s)

Total download size: 1.3 M
Installed size: 2.3 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
kernel-headers-2.6.32-131.6.1.el6.x86_64.rpm                                                    | 1.3 MB    00:06   
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
  Installing : kernel-headers-2.6.32-131.6.1.el6.x86_64                                                            1/1

Installed:
  kernel-headers.x86_64 0:2.6.32-131.6.1.el6                                                                           

Complete!

After this, hoping that it'll work I go beginning and repeat the same steps to arrive at the same place. I have uninstalled the VM and reinstalled it using the repository as mentioned in this post. And I repeat the whole exercise again but http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2835777/BangHead1.gif happens. Rebooted several times also to no avail.

I have all my data and work on the windows virtual machine which was installed for me by someone else because I wasn't allowed to remove linux from this one. If i will not be able to access my programs and data on the windows machine, I will have wasted over a year of my PhD work sad.gif . This is very crucial for me, but i have known people solving linux problems over internet forums. So please please help me. I can come online if you'd let me know a time so that I can follow your instructions and try and solve this problem.

Thanks
PMEmail Poster
^
burakkucat
 Posted: Feb 3 2014, 07:40 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 14

It is important that the kernel-devel package (as well as the kernel-headers package) matches your currently running kernel.

So in a similar fashion as with the headers package, invoke --

yum --enablerepo sl-security reinstall kernel-devel

Once that has completed, look at the list of kernel related packages that are now installed --

rpm -qa kernel\* | sort

That should show, at a minimum, a matching set of kernel, kernel-devel and kernel-headers packages. (I say "at a minimum" because there is also a kernel-firmware and an optional kernel-doc package sets.)

For reference purposes, I show a link to the VirtualBox page in the CentOS wiki. You might like to review the information that page provides.

--------------------
user posted image 100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.
PMUsers Website
^
imperfekt
 Posted: Feb 4 2014, 09:18 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Thank you very much Burakkucat
As you can see in my post I have simultaneously installed kernel-devel as well.
When I do
CODE
# rpm -qa kernel\* | sort

I get
kernel-2.6.32-131.6.1.el6.x86_64
kernel-devel-2.6.32-131.0.15.el6.x86_64
kernel-devel-2.6.32-131.4.1.el6.x86_64
kernel-firmware-2.6.32-131.6.1.el6.noarch
kernel-headers-2.6.32-131.6.1.el6.x86_64

This means that a minimum matching set of kernel, kernel-headers and kernel-devel is not there! The devel package is not in sync

This page that you've recommended, I checked it out. It doesn't tell me what to do to match these versions.

Its still very nice to know that there is a problem here but I don't know how to move forward. Should I instead downgrade my kernel and kernel-headers packages ? If yes, how could I do it safely?

Thanks again. Hoping for a reply.
PMEmail Poster
^
imperfekt
 Posted: Feb 4 2014, 10:47 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Unbelievable as it may sound
CODE
# yum --enablerepo sl-security reinstall kernel-devel

did not help me in any way. I down graded the kernel, crashed the grub.conf, rebooted it and changed variables in the grub speak - nothing worked.

Just as an act of persuasion i tried
CODE
yum install --enablerepo sl-security kernel-devel

And it all works. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2835777/egyptian.gif

Sometimes I think linux has life and a heart and when you beg enough, it bends and gives way. http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b390/pep_133/smileys/rofl.gif?t=1241899258

Thanks a lot Burakkucat, your clue solved my problem.!!
PMEmail Poster
^
burakkucat
 Posted: Feb 4 2014, 04:44 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 14

I'm really pleased to read that you have resolved the problem.

So I'll join you in that "happy dance" . . . http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2835777/egyptian.gif

With regards to the CentOS wiki Virtual Box article, I know & trust both the original author and the current maintainer of that page.

Now that you have access to your data, your first priority must -- surely -- be to implement some valid form of a backup process! wink.gif

Any time there is an update to kernel related packages, it would be sensible to execute the rpm -qa kernel\* | sort command line to check the current status -- before the system is rebooted.

--------------------
user posted image 100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.
PMUsers Website
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll