> SL6.3 freezes at boot on VBox
frixhax
 Posted: Feb 28 2013, 07:51 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2322

Hello!

I installed SL6.3 in my Windows7 host in the latest Virtualbox. I used standard desktop installation with Gnome, which worked fine. Then I installed the VB guest extensions, which worked fine as well. After a couple of days a did a system update and after reboot the boot process freezes after the status bar is finish, that is, when X is supposed to be started, I guess.
I'm not new to Linux but I'm not a system expert either. I have no such issues with Ubuntu or Mint, but had the same problem with Arch Linux a while ago and never could figure out what exactly was wrong.
Is this a known problem or is there a standard way to troubleshoot? I can boot the system in runlevel 3, but not 5.
Thanks!

sudo
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Mar 7 2013, 12:41 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (sudo @ Feb 28 2013, 07:51 PM)
Hello!

I installed SL6.3 in my Windows7 host in the latest Virtualbox. I used standard desktop installation with Gnome, which worked fine. Then I installed the VB guest extensions, which worked fine as well. After a couple of days a did a system update and after reboot the boot process freezes after the status bar is finish, that is, when X is supposed to be started, I guess.
I'm not new to Linux but I'm not a system expert either. I have no such issues with Ubuntu or Mint, but had the same problem with Arch Linux a while ago and never could figure out what exactly was wrong.
Is this a known problem or is there a standard way to troubleshoot? I can boot the system in runlevel 3, but not 5.
Thanks!

sudo

Hi,
sorry for late reply,
kind of overlooked this post, duh. From your description, you probably installed new kernel. Maybe the VB extensions needs to be reinstalled.
Anyway, if you can boot to runlevel 3, means, the OS is OK, just the X-server complains about something.

check:
/var/log/dmesg
/var/log/messages
/var/log/Xorg.0.log

mainly the last one should say, why X server refuses to start ...

post findings, we'll see ..

cheers,

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
frixhax
 Posted: Mar 7 2013, 05:45 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Hi helikaon,

thanks! Yes, Xorg.0.log tells me "Failed to load module "vboxvideo", No drivers available"
Now, before I already tried to re-install the vbox guest additions from runlevel 3 from the local directory (sorry, I forgot the path and can't seem to find the link right now), because in runlevel 3 the disc image for the additions won't load and therefore cannot be mounted, it seems.
Anyway, I got the error
"Building the OpenGL support modules..... [FAILED]"
and solved it by
CODE
export MAKE='/usr/bin/gmake -i'

which I found in the virtualbox support forums, and then reinstalling the additions, which then went error-free.
But there is still the same problem.

PM
^
U308
 Posted: Mar 7 2013, 06:26 PM
Quote Post

SLF Advocate

Member No.: 32

Probably due to kernel update, in which case I have had success with running /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup as root. (Dkms with me is installed in both host and guest, this will ensure that the kernel modules are automatically built after kernel updates).
PM
^
frixhax
 Posted: Mar 8 2013, 11:57 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

There is no such file in /etc/init.d/
The only vbox related files there are vboxadd, vboxadd-service, and vboxadd-x11
PM
^
U308
 Posted: Mar 8 2013, 12:41 PM
Quote Post

SLF Advocate

On the host ..

user posted image

PM
^
frixhax
 Posted: Mar 8 2013, 01:03 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Well, the host is Windows 7, I'm afraid wacko.gif
PM
^
U308
 Posted: Mar 8 2013, 01:13 PM
Quote Post

SLF Advocate

QUOTE (frixhax @ Mar 8 2013, 03:03 PM)
Well, the host is Windows 7, I'm afraid  wacko.gif

Oops, my sincere apologies. Haven't used Windows for 5 years now, and blithely assumed you had a Linux host. That's what happens when one doesn't read posts carefully.
I am sure you will receive help from someone soon.

http://www.madjacksports.com/forum/images/smilies/facepalm.gif
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Mar 8 2013, 02:50 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

QUOTE (sudo @ Mar 7 2013, 05:45 PM)
Hi helikaon,

thanks! Yes, Xorg.0.log tells me "Failed to load module "vboxvideo", No drivers available"
Now, before I already tried to re-install the vbox guest additions from runlevel 3 from the local directory (sorry, I forgot the path and can't seem to find the link right now), because in runlevel 3 the disc image for the additions won't load and therefore cannot be mounted, it seems.
Anyway, I got the error
"Building the OpenGL support modules..... [FAILED]"
and solved it by
CODE
export MAKE='/usr/bin/gmake -i'

which I found in the virtualbox support forums, and then reinstalling the additions, which then went error-free.
But there is still the same problem.

Hi,
when you reinstalled the vbox guest additions - did you uninstalled first the old version? It's better to completely remove old install first.
Also - paste here (if you can) the respective part or X server log with the EE messages.

Also, if the uninstall / reinstall wont help, i'd try to creat the 'xorg.conf' file to configure X server manually.
Also another q. - do you have the newest version ofVirtual Box?

cheers,

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
frixhax
 Posted: Mar 8 2013, 07:54 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Hi!
I'm only familiar with installing the guest additions via the Virtualbox machine's dropdown menu, where the image gets mounted automatically. Can you please tell me, how I can uninstall and then reinstall them in runlevel 3?
I cannot paste the log here right now, since guest/host copy-paste doesn't work on runlevel 3 on my machine, sorry sad.gif
I always update Virtualbox to the latest version.
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Mar 9 2013, 04:49 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

QUOTE (frixhax @ Mar 8 2013, 07:54 PM)
Hi!
I'm only familiar with installing the guest additions via the Virtualbox machine's  dropdown menu, where the image gets mounted automatically. Can you please tell me, how I can uninstall and then reinstall them in runlevel 3?
I cannot paste the log here right now, since guest/host copy-paste doesn't work on runlevel 3 on my machine, sorry sad.gif
I always update Virtualbox to the latest version.

there is info on installing / unistalling vbox linux guest additions here:

vbox guest additions install / uninstall

Uninstalling the Linux Guest Additions

If you have a version of the Guest Additions installed on your virtual machine and wish to remove it without installing new ones, you can do so by inserting the Guest Additions CD image into the virtual CD-ROM drive as described above and running the installer for the current Guest Additions with the "uninstall" parameter from the path that the CD image is mounted on in the guest:

sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run uninstall

While this will normally work without issues, you may need to do some manual cleanup of the guest (particularly of the XFree86Config or xorg.conf file) in some cases, particularly if the Additions version installed or the guest operating system were very old, or if you made your own changes to the Guest Additions setup after you installed them.

Starting with version 3.1.0, you can uninstall the Additions by invoking

/opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-4.2.8/uninstall.sh

Please replace /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-4.2.8 with the correct Guest Additions installation directory.

cheers,

This post has been edited by helikaon: Mar 9 2013, 04:53 PM

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
frixhax
 Posted: Mar 10 2013, 02:02 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Thank you, uninstalling and re-installing the additions did the trick.
However, I tried the same thing with VMware player and its additions. Up until now, despite kernel updates and so on, it is still working like a charm. Maybe Virtualbox is the inferior solution...?

Best,
frix
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Mar 15 2013, 10:23 AM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

QUOTE (frixhax @ Mar 10 2013, 02:02 AM)
Thank you, uninstalling and re-installing the additions did the trick.
However, I tried the same thing with VMware player and its additions. Up until now, despite kernel updates and so on, it is still working like a charm. Maybe Virtualbox is the inferior solution...?

Best,
frix

Well,
i can't quite judge it, because i never used the VMware product on desktop. And i try hard to avoid it on servers too (costs). On laptop i use KVM - and on servers as well.
Now with RHEV 3.1 i'd say the KVM is also 'big' business ready. And RHEL 7 is behind corner with new KVM and new RHEV 4 so ..
Basically i tend to use on my laptop the technology i use on server as well - it has bigger benefits for me :].

cheers,

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
warren
 Posted: Jul 14 2013, 08:23 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 2615

Usually, if you have Kernel Updates, it is always good to boot into single user
mode, and run /etc/init.d/vboxadd setup

Then you can move to init 3 or init 5 from there, by issuing "init 3" or "init 5"

-WZ
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll