> Problem with USB Webcam after upgrading Kernel
zensunnioracle
 Posted: Dec 10 2014, 01:14 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3132

Hello All,

I'm hoping someone can point me towards the correct place to report this kernel bug I came across.

I discovered an issue within the following two Kernels with a change that must have been made to how USB is handled in them:

CODE
Scientific Linux 2.6.32-504.1.3.el6.x86_64
Scientific Linux 2.6.32-504.el6.x86_64

The problem was found when a USB webcam that was set to update once a minute via cron suddenly produced the following error when trying to capture an image with gstreamer:

CODE
libv4l2: error turning on stream: No space left on device

A bit of googling revealed that the "no space left on device" refers to the USB host being out of bandwidth. This usually occurs when too many bandwidth hungry devices are on a single host, but in my case, I hadn't added or removed any devices!

To work around this, I rolled back to the following kernel:

CODE
Scientific Linux 2.6.32-431.29.2.el6.x86_64

and the problems went away.

If anyone who actively maintains the kernel sees this, please let me know where or how I might report this or who I might contact about fixing it in future versions.

Thanks!
PM
^
toracat
 Posted: Dec 10 2014, 01:22 AM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 11

This is a known bug in the kernel. You can find the details in this CentOS bug report.

As an interim solution, I suggest you install the centosplus kernel. The SL kernel will eventually be fixed when the upstream (RHEL) kernel gets the patch. But it may take a while.

--------------------
ELRepo: repository specializing in hardware support for EL
PMUsers Website
^
zensunnioracle
 Posted: Dec 10 2014, 01:31 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 3132

Oh good. I figured I couldn't have been the first to find this since the kernel with the original bug was a version previous to the most current.

I will check out the centosplus kernel since it looks like that worked well for others.

Also, thanks for linking to the bug tracking site. I wasn't aware that existed (although, in hindsight, I probably should have searched for it).

Appreciate the quick reply!
PM
^
sctvguy1
 Posted: Dec 17 2014, 03:22 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 2601

QUOTE (zensunnioracle @ Dec 9 2014, 07:31 PM)
Oh good. I figured I couldn't have been the first to find this since the kernel with the original bug was a version previous to the most current.

I will check out the centosplus kernel since it looks like that worked well for others.

Also, thanks for linking to the bug tracking site. I wasn't aware that existed (although, in hindsight, I probably should have searched for it).

Appreciate the quick reply!

Maybe check your yum update, a new kernel just came through; 2.6.32.504.3.3 Maybe that will fix your problem. smile.gif

--------------------
"What do you mean there's no movie?"
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll