> eth0 Interface Absent on SL Machine
Barywhyte
 Posted: Oct 31 2015, 08:48 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3553

Hello guys,

I hope I can find some help here. It is not as if this is hampering my work but I just wanna know what could be responsible for such situation.

I have a 32-bit laptop with Ubuntu 15.04 on one partition with a guest Ubuntu server on virtualbox, and SL6.7 carbon on another partition with Lubuntu guest on VMware player. I just switched to SL though after a year with Ubuntu (I wish I had done that from the beginning).

Now here are the issues:

1. eth0 interface is not present on the SL machine.
$ifconfig -a fails to bring up eth0. Its says: "eth0 interface seems not present." the same message comes up if I try to assign IP address to eth0. However I don't have this experience on my ubuntu partition and on the lubuntu guest on vmware player. What could be responsible for this?

2. What could make SL6.7 always boot into root account when the inittab file is always in runlevel 5? There is this little error that complain about bad superblock and using "e2fsck -b 8129 to change to a backup superblock. And I already did that on Ubuntu partition when the filesystem is not mounted.

Thank you friends. I know this might sound pedestrian but I always like to win even the smallest of my battles.

I would appreciate fast responses.

Seun
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Nov 3 2015, 10:55 AM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Barywhyte @ Oct 31 2015, 08:48 AM)
Hello guys,

I hope I can find some help here. It is not as if this is hampering my work but I just wanna know what could be responsible for such situation.

I have a 32-bit laptop with Ubuntu 15.04 on one partition  with a guest Ubuntu server on virtualbox, and SL6.7 carbon on another partition with Lubuntu guest on VMware player. I just switched to SL though after a year with Ubuntu (I wish I had done that from the beginning).

Now here are the issues:

1. eth0 interface is not present on the SL machine.
  $ifconfig -a fails to bring up eth0. Its says: "eth0 interface seems not present." the same message comes up if I try to assign IP address to eth0. However I don't have this experience on my ubuntu partition and on the lubuntu guest on vmware player.  What could be responsible for this?

2. What could make SL6.7 always boot into root account when the inittab file is always in runlevel 5? There is this little error that complain about bad superblock and  using "e2fsck -b 8129 to  change to a backup superblock. And I already did that on Ubuntu partition when the filesystem is not mounted.

Thank you friends. I know this might sound pedestrian but I always like to win even the smallest of my battles.

I would appreciate fast responses.

Seun

Hi,

1. NIC:
what is output of:
CODE

lspci -v | grep -A10 -i net

2. boot to root account? like automatically without you having to supply password?

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll