Scientific Linux Forum.org

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Getting MAXIMUM transfer speed on LAN, How to speed up file transfer on LAN?
freddie50
 Posted: Jan 24 2015, 11:06 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 256

Dear All,

Subject: How to troubleshoot and speed up file transfer on LAN?

I have a problem with the transfer speed between 2 hosts on my local network (LAN).
At home, I have a switch (NETGEAR GS105 ProSafe 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch) which obviously supports Gigabit Ethernet, 2 boxes (intel NUC DC3217IYE Barebone PC and Gygabyte BRIX GB-XM12 mini PC) are connected to this switch with Cat 6 Ethernet cables. They both have Gigabit NICs and run SL 6.6. They both have internal 500GB SSD hard drives.
If I run
CODE
# ethtool eth0
on each box everything is connected Full duplex at 1000MB/s.

I need to transfer a vast amount of files between the 2 servers, but when I run scp -r or rsync on the directories I want to copy, the transfer speed of each file is barely 2-3 MB/s...
I really hope this can be increased.

Any idea how to obtain the best possible transfer speed between my 2 boxes?
Please note that my internet provider gave me a poor modem (Netgear modem which only support 100Mbps Ethernet connections, the switch has a cable connection towards my Modem.
At the moment one mini PC has a fix ip address the other is using dhcp, if this can have any influence?

The all point of getting a switch is to skip the Ethernet poor speed of the modem, but so far it has not been very successful.

Many thanks for your inputs and keep up the good work!

Freddie
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Jan 24 2015, 11:51 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (freddie50 @ Jan 24 2015, 11:06 PM)
Dear All,

Subject: How to troubleshoot and speed up file transfer on LAN?

I have a problem with the transfer speed between 2 hosts on my local network (LAN).
At home, I have a switch (NETGEAR GS105 ProSafe 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch) which obviously supports Gigabit Ethernet, 2 boxes (intel NUC DC3217IYE Barebone PC and Gygabyte BRIX GB-XM12 mini PC) are connected to this switch with Cat 6 Ethernet cables. They both have Gigabit NICs and run SL 6.6. They both have internal 500GB SSD hard drives.
If I run
CODE
# ethtool eth0
on each box everything is connected Full duplex at 1000MB/s.

I need to transfer a vast amount of files between the 2 servers, but when I run scp -r or rsync on the directories I want to copy, the transfer speed of each file is barely 2-3 MB/s...
I really hope this can be increased.

Any idea how to obtain the best possible transfer speed between my 2 boxes?
Please note that my internet provider gave me a poor modem (Netgear modem which only support 100Mbps Ethernet connections, the switch has a cable connection towards my Modem.
At the moment one mini PC has a fix ip address the other is using dhcp, if this can have any influence?

The all point of getting a switch is to skip the Ethernet poor speed of the modem, but so far it has not been very successful.

Many thanks for your inputs and keep up the good work!

Freddie

Hi,
i'd start with some q:
- what is your gateway on both boxes? The slow modem?
- all netw. settings on both boxes same? netmask etc?
- which appl. protocol is used for data transfer? NFS4 ? Samba SMB1?
- cables are ok? i've seen many partially cracked cables (happens if they were too much bent or driven over with a office chair)
- routes on both boxes same?

suggest:
- configure both boxes having fixed IPs and pull off the modem from the switch to make it as simple as possible
- put into NIC config files ('ifcfg-eth0' ) on both boxes this:
MTU=9000
and restart network or box - this will start on data transfers using jumbo packets
- check routes on both boxes

cheers :]

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
tux99
 Posted: Jan 25 2015, 12:28 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 224

use ftp or nfs rather than scp, it's faster and security shouldn't be an issue if this is on your local home network.

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll