> Is it worth? SL6 for home on notebook
vundo
 Posted: Feb 20 2015, 10:16 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3371

Hello guys and gals!

First of all, I'm from Poland and I study computer science. I'm looking for a rock-solid distro with classic GNOME 2.32 desktop, full Red Hat compatibility and friendly community.

Of course, Fedora might be better with latest packages (I really enjoy newest versions of Firefox or LibreOffice) but it doesn't have stability as Scientific does.

So I'm going to give SL a try. I have some questions:
1) Does Scientific Linux support TRIM?
2) Does SL have repos with newest desktop software, like LibreOffice, VLC, Firefox?
3) Last but not least: is it really worth??
4) Does SL support browsing files stored on iPhone 5S (it's very important for me!)

My machine is Lenovo Thinkpad T400, 4GB of RAM, 128 GB SSD.

Regards,
Adam
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Feb 23 2015, 02:20 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (vundo @ Feb 20 2015, 10:16 PM)
Hello guys and gals!

First of all, I'm from Poland and I study computer science. I'm looking for a rock-solid distro with classic GNOME 2.32 desktop, full Red Hat compatibility and friendly community.

Of course, Fedora might be better with latest packages (I really enjoy newest versions of Firefox or LibreOffice) but it doesn't have stability as Scientific does.

So I'm going to give SL a try. I have some questions:
1) Does Scientific Linux support TRIM?
2) Does SL have repos with newest desktop software, like LibreOffice, VLC, Firefox?
3) Last but not least: is it really worth??
4) Does SL support browsing files stored on iPhone 5S (it's very important for me!)

My machine is Lenovo Thinkpad T400, 4GB of RAM, 128 GB SSD.

Regards,
Adam

Hi Adam and welcome :]
i'll try to answer at least some of your q. but not all, as i don't know answers for all of them ..

1. Trim - yes it does. SL is a clone of RHEL and RH support it
e.g. here:
TRIM support rhel doc

I paste here the TUV part of relevant info:

In RHEL 6.0 and later, several layers of the storage stack support TRIM:
        The device mapper has full support for discard (trim) for all targets except snapshot and crypt.
        MD (Multiple devices, software raid) supports TRIM since RHEL6.5GA, with the exception of RAID5 which does not support TRIM. This was implemented in (private) bz837097. RAID 5/6 support was added to RHEL 6.6 in private bug 1023424.

The ext4 filesystem filesystem supports discard, discard operations are not performed automatically since some SSD drives have buggy firmware. Two options to invoke exist:
        fstrim, recommended: Discard operations can be triggered by the user in explicitly calling the fstrim command. Refer to Storage Admin Guide: Discard unused blocks for more details.
        filesystem calling discard: The filesystem can by itself perform discard operations. For this, it has to be mounted with -o discard. The Storage Administration Guide has details.

The fstrim operation is also supported to use with XFS file systems as of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 and later.

Root Cause

'Block discard' is a feature through which an operating system can signal to a storage subsystem that a data block will no longer be needed. This feature is implemented as 'TRIM' in the ATA and as 'WRITE SAME' in the SCSI specifications.

The storage subsystem can use this information. For solid state disk devices (SSDs), this information can be used to improve wear leveling. For high end storage, the block can be given back to a storage pool used in thin provisioning (cf. What is "Thin Provisioning" (of storage) and how does it relate to RHEL6?).

The 'support for DISCARD and ATA TRIM/SCSI WRITE_SAME with UNMAP' was tracked in the (private) bz528046 and is part of RHEL6 since version 6.0 . This was included into the vanilla linux kernel with this commit.

Diagnostic Steps

Check /sys/block/<disk>/queue/discard_max_bytes. If it is zero, the disk does not support discard. To set it non-zero, the disk should support TPE bit of READ CAPACITY 16 and UNMAP or WRITE SAME command.
    The TPE bit can be verified with the sg_readcap command provided by sg3_utils package:

[root@host ~]# sg_readcap -l /dev/sdb
Read Capacity results:
  Protection: prot_en=0, p_type=0, p_i_exponent=0
  Thin provisioning: tpe=1, tprz=0
                      ^^^^^
                        |
                        +-----UNMAP | WRITE SAME

2. of course it does
3. it is :]
4. this i dont know, i never owned any of the "i" technologies or devices
5. Lenovo thinkpad - no prob with install

hope it helps

cheers :]

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
burakkucat
 Posted: Feb 23 2015, 06:23 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Member No.: 14

I'm looking for a rock-solid distro with classic GNOME 2.32 desktop, full Red Hat compatibility and friendly community.

Just a quick comment with regards to your requirement for the classic Gnome 2 desktop . . .

SL 6 most certainly has Gnome 2 but SL 7, by default, has Gnome 3. However it is possible to add the Mate desktop (from EPEL) to SL 7, thus providing a Gnome 2 desktop equivalent.

--------------------
user posted image 100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.
PMUsers Website
^
Hywire
 Posted: May 28 2015, 12:25 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 3451

This is a good question. And I was wondering what is the advantage of SL over other versions of linux? People keep saying 'rock solid'... what does that phrase mean? That it doesn't crash? or that it has great support? So far all I know is that it is very fast!

What else does it offer???

tnx! cool.gif
PM
^
igadoter
 Posted: May 28 2015, 01:23 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 3337

Hi, Adam
QUOTE (vundo @ Feb 21 2015, 12:16 AM)
Hello guys and gals!

Piotr here (Poland) , definitely SL is your choice. Really rock-solid, full RHEL compatible, I am running SL 6.4, it serves well for all my needs. My hardware is old Compaq nx7300. So, grab SL today, install and enjoy it. You won't regret this.

Running SL you will have great opportunity to learn Red Hat. Being student, this is invaluable for you.
Greetings,
PMEmail Poster
^
redman
 Posted: Jun 8 2015, 06:07 AM
Quote Post

Retired SLF Administrator

Member No.: 2

If you want a stable distro with long term support, go for RHEL or any of their clones like SL.
You can think of RHEL like IBM used to be in the past: workhorse that keeps on going.

Yes, there are some things to consider (3rd party repos!), but if you have it up and running, you will love it cool.gif

--------------------
"Sometimes the best helping hand you can give is a good, firm push."
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll