Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> RHEL7 might feature /UsrMove
redman
 Posted: Sep 28 2013, 05:39 AM
Quote Post

Retired SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

When looking for something different, I stumbled upon an article on Fedora 17 which featured /UsrMove, a reoganisation of certain directories into /usr:

Historically /bin, /sbin, /lib had the purpose to contain the utilities to mount /usr. This role can now be taken by the initramfs. Because the initramfs knows, where to find the root partition (which includes /etc), it can parse /etc/fstab and other configuration files and mount /usr before it finally switches the root partition and executes /usr/bin/init. From this point on init mounts the remaining partitions in /etc/fstab and the system starts as usual.

The long-term plan is to clean up the mess and confusion the current split of / vs. /usr has created. All tools will move back to /usr where they belong, and the rootfs will only contain compat-symlinks into /usr. Almost the entire system installed by packages will reside in /usr. This will split all non-host specific data to /usr. /usr can then be seen as the Unix System Resources partition (/System), which defines the base operating system (e.g. F18 or RHEL-7).

This new /usr could be mounted read-only by default, while the rootfs is read-write and contains only empty mount points, compat-symlinks to /usr and the host-specific data like /etc, /root, /srv. Compared to today's setups, the rootfs will be very small. The new /usr could also easily be shared read-only across several systems, and it would contain almost the entire system. Such setups are more efficient, can optionally provide a lot more security, are more flexible, provide more sane options for custom setups, and are much simpler to setup and maintain.

When exploring this a bit futher, I came across several references that RHEL7 might be featuring this.
If so, I can imagine this to be an interesting case for sysadmins using any version of Enterprise Linux (RHEL, CentOS, SL etc.).

LInks to relevant articles about this:
What's new in Fedora 17 on h-online.com
Fedora Wiki on /UsrMove
Various notes on /usr unification on lwn.net

--------------------
"Sometimes the best helping hand you can give is a good, firm push."
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Sep 28 2013, 06:40 AM
Quote Post

SLF Inceptor

Group: Admins
Member No.: 1

Thanks Patrick! I'm really really looking forward to SL7! biggrin.gif

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
Nexus 4 //Android
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll