Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> [SOLVED] VPN issue, VPNC works with Gnome 3 but not Cinammon
SirTuxalot
 Posted: Nov 16 2014, 02:52 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1938

I recently installed SL7 on my laptop quickly followed by cinnamon and vpnc (and related components) using this link. When I attempted to create a vpnc profile under Network Manager I received a message that my connection could not be created and that there were no vpnc scripts installed. However under Gnome 3, not only was I able to create the connection profile I was successful in establishing a connection to the VPN appliance at work. When I logged back in to cinnamon, I was miraculously able to access the scripts that I was previously not installed. However, I was not able to establish a connection using the vpnc profile while using cinnamon. This smelIed like a permissions issue so I recreated the connection profile under cinnamon, however I was still unable to establish a connection with the profile.

I will continue to test, but any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

This post has been edited by burakkucat: Mar 20 2015, 04:12 PM
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Nov 16 2014, 07:57 AM
Quote Post

Retired SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

When you install other display managers and/or graphical managers you go off road.
I had the same experience when I explored SL7 + MATE (see here and here).
It means you need to try to figure out which additional packages you need / are missing wink.gif

--------------------
"Sometimes the best helping hand you can give is a good, firm push."
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Nov 16 2014, 11:02 AM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (redman @ Nov 16 2014, 07:57 AM)
When you install other display managers and/or graphical managers you go off road.
I had the same experience when I explored SL7 + MATE (see here and here).
It means you need to try to figure out which additional packages you need / are missing  wink.gif

Or - it could be SELinux troubles.
i'd try quick set the SELinux to permissive mode:
CODE

setenforce 0

and try it again - if it goes, you need to set SELinux permissions correctly

cheers,

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
SirTuxalot
 Posted: Nov 17 2014, 03:47 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Well, I tried the "simplest" route first and tried the seLinux route, unfortunately there was no change. However, I did find this RedHat Bug Report the exactly describes the issue I am having. It appears that this is a known issue as far back as at least Fedora 19. What I truly find weird is that I was using F20 on the same laptop and had no issue with Cinnamon/VPNC integration at all. I switched back to SL7 because I got tired of the constant Fedora updates.

I am willing to handle this manually if necessary, but starting and stopping through the interface would definely be preferred. Naturally, I will continue to research this...if a solution is found I will post it with this thread.

Thank you for your assistance.
PM
^
SirTuxalot
 Posted: Mar 20 2015, 12:41 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Well, I have been meaning to reply to this thread for a while, the issue has been resolved but I am not able to pinpoint the solution. One day I randomly install the MATE desktop to try it out, and partially to see if it had the same issue. Ironically it did not have the same problem. When I logged back in using Cinnamon, I tested my initial issue which had gone away...I was able to initiate VPN connectivity through NetworkManager. With this discover in hand, I installed MATE on my laptop which was having the same issue...again, the problem had been resolved.

Thankfully I was smart enough to keep track of the files that were installed on both systems. I am sure there is a log somewhere, but I didn't look. There was a multitude of files what were installed on both systems, but I suspect one or more of the following to have resolved my issue.

network-manager-applet-0.9.9.0-15.git20140307.el7.x86_64
NetworkManager-l2tp-0.9.8.6-2.el7.nux.x86_64
NetworkManager-openconnect-0.9.8.6-2.el7.x86_64

If you would like I could do some experimenting to see if my theory is correct especially if it is one of the three. However I will mark this as solved.
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Mar 22 2015, 08:51 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Member No.: 4

Hi there,
thanks for reporting your success :]

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll