Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Virus/Malware Scanners for Linux
kenmorgan
 Posted: Feb 28 2017, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1782

I've been receiving some emails claiming to be from my VPS hosting company. On the latest one to come, still with no suspician, I clicked a link that took me to a bogus Web site--not my hosting company at all. I called technical support, and the tech confirmed that no such email was sent and suggested that I should download a virus scanner for Linux to check my home computer. It was discouraging because I was under the impression that virus danger on a Linux system was very low.

Anyway, can you recommend a good, hopefully free laugh.gif , virus scanner/malware?

Thanks so much.

Ken

--------------------
Ken
CentOS 6
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
monsee
 Posted: Mar 3 2017, 01:13 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 539

I have installed (and I'm using) ClamAV (it's a free antivirus) and Chkrootkit (it's a free anti-rootkit). Both can be installed simply in Scientific Linux, using YUM (you need to have have the EPEL Repo installed) or using YumeX ("YUM eXtender" is a graphical front-end to YUM package manager and I am using it, because I like "the graphical way" ). I am using Scientific Linux 6.8 32-bit version. But ClamAV (and, maybe, Chkrootkit also, bu I am not totally sure of it) can be founded on EPEL Repo also for Scientific Linux 64-bit.
PM
^
kenmorgan
 Posted: Mar 4 2017, 02:18 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 1782

Thanks monsee!

I'll look at the Web sites for ClamAV and Chkrootkit to see if I'll be able to figure out how to use them! I'm using 32-bit CentOS, and I already have EPEL Repo installed, so installing these two packages should be straightforward.

Ken

--------------------
Ken
CentOS 6
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
inittux
 Posted: Aug 14 2017, 12:38 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 953

Sophos has a free linux anti-virus also which you can download here . I use it myself and am quite satisied with it smile.gif

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll