Scientific Linux Forum.org

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Server failling to boot with the error: "init: Failed to spawn readhead-disable-services main proces, Unable to boot.
pshingade
 Posted: Oct 17 2014, 04:31 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3249

Dear All,
I have installed Scientific Linux 6.5 on a server machine and was working fine, the machine went slow and the stoped responding, on reboot it showed following error and dose not boot.

init: Failed to spawn readhead-disable-services main proces: unable to execute: no such file or directory.
init: Failed to spawn rcS pre-start proces: unable to execute: no such file or directory.

I tried to boot using boot cd and could login to the machine. I am not sure what went wrong, is it a hardware issue of some bug in SL 6.5. I also tried to reinstall the operating system which was sucessfull and on reboot the error occured again.

Please guide me to identify the cause and resolve the issue.

Thanks,
Prashant.
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Oct 17 2014, 10:18 AM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (pshingade @ Oct 17 2014, 04:31 AM)
Dear All,
I have installed Scientific Linux 6.5 on a server machine and was working fine, the machine went slow and the stoped responding, on reboot it showed following error and dose not boot.

init: Failed to spawn readhead-disable-services main proces: unable to execute: no such file or directory.
init: Failed to spawn rcS pre-start proces: unable to execute: no such file or directory.

I tried to boot using boot cd and could login to the machine. I am not sure what went wrong, is it a hardware issue of some bug in SL 6.5. I also tried to reinstall the operating system which was sucessfull and on reboot the error occured again.

Please guide me to identify the cause and resolve the issue.

Thanks,
Prashant.

Hi,
you get this message, if for some reason your "/bin" directory is missing. It can be a HW problem with your disk, you deleted it accidentally or .. there might be some other reasons (permissions on files changed?...).

To resolve the problem, reinstal OS, or you can try to boot in to the rescue environment and copy the missing /bin directory contents on to the server and reboot machine.

cheers,

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll