Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Kernel panic when upgradeing SL7.1 to SL7.2
redman
 Posted: Feb 6 2016, 02:53 PM
Quote Post

Retired SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

After upgrading my buildserver with "yum update" from SL7.1 to SL7.2 it suffer from kernel panic when rebooting.
user posted image

It seems that kernel-3.10.0-327.4.5 has an issue after upgrading.
Because when I boot it with the previous kernel (3.10.0-327-3.1), there are no problems.
But it gets even stranger, when I do a fresh install of SL7.2 and upgrade to the new kernel, nothing goes wrong.

I have seen the kernel panic also happen on another system.
There too booting the previous kernel made it boot without a problem.
I did not do a fresh install on that one too.

--------------------
"Sometimes the best helping hand you can give is a good, firm push."
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: Feb 6 2016, 03:27 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Group: Members
Member No.: 953

I updated all my vps machines, and my homeserver to 7.2 and I had no problems, flawless update biggrin.gif

--------------------
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: Feb 7 2016, 07:45 AM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

QUOTE (redman @ Feb 6 2016, 04:53 PM)
After upgrading my buildserver with "yum update" from SL7.1 to SL7.2 it suffer from kernel panic when rebooting.
/URL]

Because when I boot it with the previous kernel (3.10.0-327-3.1), there are no problems.
But it gets even stranger, when I do a fresh install of SL7.2 and upgrade to the new kernel, nothing goes wrong.

I wonder what software caused a kernel panic after upgrade.

--------------------
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Feb 8 2016, 08:22 AM
Quote Post

Today at work I did an upgrade van SL7.1 to SL7.2
This meant going from kernel 3.10.0-327.3.1 to 3.10.0-327.4.5.
After the upgrade and rebooting the same kernel-panic happened.

I switched it off and back on abd booted the system with the 3.1 kernel.
I tried upgrading to the 3.10.0-327.4.4 kernel and the reboot went flawless.
Running the 3.10.0-327.4.4 kernel, I upgraded it to 3.10.0-327.4.5 and rebooted.
Again no problems huh.gif

--------------------
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: Feb 8 2016, 09:02 AM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Might try to upgrade on a test machine from 3.10.0-327.3.1 to 3.10.0-327.4.5 and and upgrade from 3.10.0-327.4.4 3.10.0-327.4.5 to see what happens? But it sounds more like a compatibility between the two kernels?

--------------------
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Feb 8 2016, 09:24 AM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Member No.: 4

Yeah. SL 7 / RHEL 7 ... sorry to say, but what Red Hat does lately with it's 'business ready' distro is like .... i dunno .. bad. Simply bad.

SL 7 / RHEL 7 feels almost like Fedora. As such, SL7 / RHEL 7 is only on my testing servers and i do not plan any move 6->7 for this year. Maybe 2017.

Just to emphasize what i talk about - i tried to use SL 7 as a KVM hosting platform. And what happened?

- i moved (switched) default folder placement for KVM guest files
- libvirtd immediately crashed because of SELinux - new path did not have correct SELinux permissions
- ok, i said ... switched SELinux to permissive mode ... libvirtd still refused to start (dead) .... f...ing SystemD i say ...
- ok i was time pressed at that time, so i said ok i restart whole machine - so i did and guess what ...
- upon reboot machine refused start because it detected some problem with SELinux and kernel crashed

What a disappointment. SystemD is in such a heavy development now, that you never know which yumupdate breaks what.
I'm quite piss*d about it to be truthful. So i said - no SL7 / RHEL 7 in production, until the RH get its act together and move their testing phase back to Fedora...

cheers smile.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
inittux
 Posted: Feb 8 2016, 09:40 AM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Im running my vpses on SL7,haven't run into any problems lately. Although I don't like systemd cuz it's one big thing controlling alot of things, while before it was al each part doing their part. At work we having been rolling out RHEL7 machines, up till now only stuff that has been breaking was due to all of a sudden redhat rolling out new selinux policies causing stuff to break.

I have a KVM setup on my desktop running on fedora 23, with guests on a custom location and I'm not having any problems booting my vms. I do have a problem delete vms though via virt-manager, which I still have to look into.

This post has been edited by inittux: Feb 8 2016, 11:26 AM

--------------------
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Feb 8 2016, 03:58 PM
Quote Post

It also seems to happen with a fresh installation: link

--------------------
PM
^
sunglant
 Posted: Feb 13 2016, 09:02 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Member No.: 3319

QUOTE (redman @ Feb 6 2016, 09:53 AM)
user posted image

I have seen this issue before I had to re-install the kernel with a --force option, boot into the old kernel and see if the system will return to functional state, then yum reinstall kernel<version> kernel-headers<version> --force and see if it correctly resolves the issue.

you can also see if there is anything in the logs pertaining to failed packages or install errors. you might also have to restorecon on the system to reset selinux permissions encase a policy has gone sideways.
PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll