Scientific Linux Forum.org

Pages: (5) 1 2 3 4 5  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> VLC 2 for SL6 / RHEL6 / Centos 6
tux99
 Posted: May 28 2012, 12:51 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 224

QUOTE (tux99 @ May 17 2012, 05:04 PM)
I'm currently working on VA-API backends, I'm happy to say that I already have the XvBA (AMD/ATI) backend working!

This means that very soon (it works already on my test box) you can smoothly play back HD quality (1080p) movies even on a low-end system (for example a netbook with a lowly AMD E350 APU) with VLC 2.0!

More details will follow once I release the packages.

I have now uploaded two packages to the 'linuxtech-release' repo that enable hardware video decoding via VA-API for media players that support VA-API like VLC 2 from the linuxtech-release repo..

'vaapi-driver-xvba' is for recent ATI/AMD GPUs and APUs and requires the proprietary fglrx ATI/AMD drivers from Elrepo. I have tested this VA-API driver myself on a AMD E350 Fusion APU system and it works great for me, 1080p video playback is absolutely smooth without any tearing. Most (if not all) AMD/ATI GPUs and APUs from the last 5 years should be supported.

'vaapi-driver-vdpau' is for VDPAU capable Nvidia GPUs and requires the proprietary Nvidia drivers from Elrepo. Practically all Nvidia cards from the last 5 years or so support VDPAU. I don't currently have a system set up to test this package, so feedback would be very welcome.

Please see the following thread for more info:
http://scientificlinuxforum.org/index.php?showtopic=1629

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
suod
 Posted: Jun 11 2012, 04:19 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1612

hi tux99 and others:

Are you aware of any repo for VLC 2.0 for RHEL5? I have no luck in finding.
Thanks.
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Jun 11 2012, 05:51 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

QUOTE (suod @ Jun 11 2012, 06:19 AM)
hi tux99 and others:

Are you aware of any repo for VLC 2.0 for RHEL5?  I have no luck in finding.
Thanks.

No I don't think there is any. Also I think it would be quite difficult to build vlc 2.0 on EL5 as the dependencies are too old.

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
yhu
 Posted: Jun 15 2012, 08:49 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1619

Hello, I am a new user of RH6 development environment. I have downloaded and installed your package onto RH EL6.3 Beta, (just downloaded a week ago). It worked very well, very much appreciate this package. Note though, I had to independently download a number of packages, including: libmusicbrainz.so.4, libdc1394.so.22, libdvdread.so.4, libminizip.so.1, libdc1394.so.22, java-1.6.0-openjdk, etc (about 15 packages).

The executable was found in /etc. What I now need to do is to be able to re-compile the vlc executable from source. Is there an easy procedure to do that? (e.g. ./configure, then make ...)

Any guidance would be great! Thanks.

yhu
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Jun 15 2012, 09:03 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

QUOTE (yhu @ Jun 15 2012, 10:49 PM)
Hello, I am a new user of RH6 development environment.  I have downloaded and installed your package onto RH EL6.3 Beta, (just downloaded a week ago).  It worked very well, very much appreciate this package.  Note though, I had to independently download a number of packages, including: libmusicbrainz.so.4, libdc1394.so.22, libdvdread.so.4, libminizip.so.1, libdc1394.so.22, java-1.6.0-openjdk, etc (about 15 packages). 

You should have used yum to install vlc, that would have been much easier, see first post of this thread.

The executable was found in /etc.  What I now need to do is to be able to re-compile the vlc executable from source.  Is there an easy procedure to do that?  (e.g. ./configure, then make ...)

I don't quite understand. The vlc executable is in /usr/bin, not /etc. Why do you need to recompile vlc now that you installed it?
Anyway compiling vlc is quite complex, but there is a guide on the vlc wiki:
http://wiki.videolan.org/UnixCompile

--------------------
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Jul 2 2012, 12:31 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

VLC 2.0.2 release RPMs for x86_64 and i686 are now available in the linuxtech-testing repo.

If you already use VLC from the linuxtech repo then you can update like this:

yum --enablerepo=linuxtech-testing update vlc

Please provide feedback if you test this release!

If nobody reports any packaging related problems with this new release then I will move the packages to the linuxtech-release repo in a week.

--------------------
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Jul 4 2012, 07:06 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

QUOTE (tux99 @ Jul 2 2012, 02:31 AM)

If nobody reports any packaging related problems with this new release then I will move the packages to the linuxtech-release repo in a week.

20 downloads of the 2.0.2 release RPMs so far and no feedback, I guess that means the RPMs are flawless! biggrin.gif

--------------------
PM
^
BetaTron
 Posted: Jul 10 2012, 05:33 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1675

QUOTE (tux99 @ Jul 4 2012, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE (tux99 @ Jul 2 2012, 02:31 AM)

20 downloads of the 2.0.2 release RPMs so far and no feedback, I guess that means the RPMs are flawless! biggrin.gif

Tux, you sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

I'm currently installing SL for the second time and in doing research for something unrelated I bumped into this thread.

2.0.2 installed flawlessly using your repo -- opened the only avi I have on my thumbdrive and it worked fine.

..I had epel enabled though and noticed a few (libvdpau, orc, libmodplug, libmatroska, libebml, SDL_image) packages pull from their repo. If this is an issue, I don't know, but it didn't seem to affect anything.

Think it's best to remove it all and reinstall?

Thanks a bunch!
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Jul 10 2012, 07:18 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Thanks, aren't we all?! smile.gif

QUOTE (BetaTron @ Jul 10 2012, 07:33 PM)
I had epel enabled though and noticed a few (libvdpau, orc, libmodplug, libmatroska, libebml, SDL_image) packages pull from their repo. If this is an issue, I don't know, but it didn't seem to affect anything.

It's up to you, libvdpau, libmatroska, libebml and SDL_image from EPEL are most likely compatible as EPEL has the same versions as my repo, orc is slightly newer in EPEL, don't know if that's compatible.

What's weird is that libmodplug in epel is older than in my repo, so I'm puzzled why yum would have preferred the one from EPEL. Also libmodplug 0.8.8.3 (the EPEL version) has a security bug that's fixed in 0.8.8.4 which is in my repo, so I recommend you upgrade at least libmodplug.

If you rather want to remove and reinstall vlc with all it's dependecencies try using 'yum history', that makes it quite easy.

--------------------
PM
^
BetaTron
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 07:55 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1675

QUOTE (tux99 @ Jul 10 2012, 02:18 PM)
Thanks, aren't we all?! smile.gif

QUOTE (BetaTron @ Jul 10 2012, 07:33 PM)
I had epel enabled though and noticed a few (libvdpau, orc, libmodplug, libmatroska, libebml, SDL_image) packages pull from their repo. If this is an issue, I don't know, but it didn't seem to affect anything.

It's up to you, libvdpau, libmatroska, libebml and SDL_image from EPEL are most likely compatible as EPEL has the same versions as my repo, orc is slightly newer in EPEL, don't know if that's compatible.

What's weird is that libmodplug in epel is older than in my repo, so I'm puzzled why yum would have preferred the one from EPEL. Also libmodplug 0.8.8.3 (the EPEL version) has a security bug that's fixed in 0.8.8.4 which is in my repo, so I recommend you upgrade at least libmodplug.

If you rather want to remove and reinstall vlc with all it's dependecencies try using 'yum history', that makes it quite easy.

Done - working flawless so far.

Now on to setting up yum-priorities.
PM
^
taylorkh
 Posted: Jul 13 2012, 01:26 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 605

Thanks for the great work! I installed from your repo to a CentOS 6.2 virtual machine running on VMWare and it all went according to plan. That said, I have a VLC issue which I am hoping you might offer some advise given your familiarity with the program...

I installed VLC 1.1.13 from RPMForge on my CentOS 6.2 64 bit physical machine. It seems to be working EXCEPT I have found a few .mp4 files which will play no sound or broken up sound. The files play fine in VLC 1.1.11 on a Win XP virtual machine. They also play fine in VLC 2.0.1 on Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit. I experience the same sound issue on the CentOS 6.2 virtual machine with your VLC 2.0.2.

Here is some data from a file which DOES play sound and one which does not:

Looking at Tools; Codec Information in VLC I find the following differences:

mp4 file which plays sound

Stream 1
Type: Audio
Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)
Channels: Stereo
Sample Rate: 44100 Hz

mp4 file which plays NO sound

Stream 1
Type: Audio
Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)
Channels: 2
Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
Bits per sample: 16
Bitrate: 1536 kb/s

Is this perhaps the result of a package external to VLC which needs to be updated and included in the VLC install?

Thanks

Ken
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Jul 13 2012, 01:35 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

QUOTE (taylorkh @ Jul 13 2012, 03:26 PM)

Is this perhaps the result of a package external to VLC which needs to be updated and included in the VLC install?

It's hard to tell without being able to test it myself.

Can you provide me a sample of a non working file?

Upload it to some filehoster and PM me a link to it.

--------------------
PM
^
luuker
 Posted: Jul 15 2012, 03:01 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1699

thanks, it's working fine for me

PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Jul 15 2012, 10:18 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

QUOTE (taylorkh @ Jul 13 2012, 03:26 PM)
I installed VLC 1.1.13 from RPMForge on my CentOS 6.2 64 bit physical machine. It seems to be working EXCEPT I have found a few .mp4 files which will play no sound or broken up sound.  The files play fine in VLC 1.1.11 on a Win XP virtual machine. They also play fine in VLC 2.0.1 on Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit. I experience the same sound issue on the CentOS 6.2 virtual machine with your VLC 2.0.2.

Ok, thanks to the sample file Ken provided me, I have located the issue in the 'faad' library that VLC and other media players use. The RPMForge 'faad' packages are affected by the same issue.
I have now built and released updated libfaad2 packages (libfaad2-2.7-5) which fix this issue (tested successfully on my test PC).

Ken, please do a:
yum --enablerepo=linuxtech-release clean all
yum --enablerepo=linuxtech-release update

and then let us know if this fixes the issue for you, too.

--------------------
PM
^
taylorkh
 Posted: Jul 15 2012, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

FANTASTIC! It works great. Thanks Andy! I also tried a file which had broken up audio on the prior version. It play perfectly as well.

Ken
PM
^
taylorkh
 Posted: Jul 16 2012, 01:56 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Well I tried to upgrade my CentOS physical machine which had VLC from RPMForge. I added the linuxtech repo, bumped it ahead of RPMForge in yum priorities and did an --enablerepo=linuxtech update VLC. VLC works except for the same sound issue on the offending .mp4 file.

I then tried

as I had done on the test install. This time yum wanted to upgrade about 2/3 of the known universe biggrin.gif and ended with this error:

Error: Package: gstreamer-plugins-bad-0.10.19-9.el6.x86_64 (linuxtech-release)
          Requires: libvpx.so.1()(64bit)
Error: Package: ffmpeg-libs-0.6.5-2.el6.x86_64 (linuxtech-release)

I have seen that before and have not been able to track down a resolution. I have reverted the physical machine to its prior state by means of a Clonezilla snapshot taken before starting the VLC upgrade. I await your advise.

Thanks,

Ken
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Jul 16 2012, 02:31 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

QUOTE (taylorkh @ Jul 16 2012, 03:56 PM)
Well I tried to upgrade my CentOS physical machine which had VLC from RPMForge.  I added the linuxtech repo, bumped it ahead of RPMForge in yum priorities and did an --enablerepo=linuxtech update VLC.  VLC works except for the same sound issue on the offending .mp4 file.

I then tried

as I had done on the test install. This time yum wanted to upgrade about 2/3 of the known universe  biggrin.gif and ended with this error:

Error: Package: ffmpeg-libs-0.6.5-2.el6.x86_64 (linuxtech-release)

I have seen that before and have not been able to track down a resolution. I have reverted the physical machine to its prior state by means of a Clonezilla snapshot taken before starting the VLC upgrade. I await your advise.

Thanks,

Ken

I assume you have protected the original Centos packages that's why you get that error. The linuxtech-release repo contains libvpx-1.0 (which is essentially straight rebuilt of the same Fedora package) which replaces the old and buggy libvpx-0.9 that SL/RHEL/Centos ship.

I know replacing Centos packages is frowned upon by many and I myself don't normally do it but in this case I made an exception as it doesn't affect the integrity of the core system (the libvpx package is only used by gstreamer, no other core Centos package makes use of it) and it is very necessary as the libvpx shipped by RHEL (and therefore Centos/SL) is quite buggy (there are multiple bug reports open for it on the RH bugzilla but RH appears to ignore them as multimedia packages are irrelevant for their target market (servers).

So in this case you should probably make an exception and allow the Centos libvpx to be upgraded by the linuxtech libvpx package.

See also my earlier post from the 28th of April 2012, 08:10 AM in this same thread for further details.

The easiest way to do this at this point for you without changing your configured yum priorities, is probably to forcibly uninstall libvpx and then let VLC reinstall it as an automatic dependency.

Just do:
rpm -qa|grep vpx (to see if you maybe have the devel and utils packages installed too)
and then:
rpm -e --nodeps libvpx (and libvpx-devel and libvpx-utils if installed)

--------------------
PM
^
taylorkh
 Posted: Jul 18 2012, 07:46 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

I removed the offending package as recommended then

yum --enablerepo=linuxtech-release update vlc

This seemed to be successful and I am now running VLC 2.0.2. However, the sound issue is still present. A little knowledge being dangerous I then did

rpm -e --nodeps faad2
yum --enablerepo=linuxtech-release install libfaad2

[root@taylor12 ken]# yum --enablerepo=linuxtech-release install libfaad2
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities, refresh-packagekit, security
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* base: centos.vipernetworksystems.com
* extras: mirror.beyondhosting.net
* rpmforge: mirror.teklinks.com
* updates: mirror.cogentco.com
161 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Setting up Install Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package libfaad2.x86_64 0:2.7-5.el6 will be installed
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

================================================================================
Package        Arch          Version          Repository                Size
================================================================================
Installing:
libfaad2        x86_64        2.7-5.el6        linuxtech-release        150 k

Transaction Summary
Install      1 Package(s)

Total size: 150 k
Installed size: 286 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
Warning: RPMDB altered outside of yum.
** Found 2 pre-existing rpmdb problem(s), 'yum check' output follows:
gstreamer-plugins-bad-free-0.10.19-2.el6.x86_64 has missing requires of libvpx.so.0()(64bit)
vlc-2.0.2-5.el6.x86_64 has missing requires of libfaad.so.2()(64bit)

Installing : libfaad2-2.7-5.el6.x86_64                                    1/1
  Verifying  : libfaad2-2.7-5.el6.x86_64                                    1/1

Installed:
  libfaad2.x86_64 0:2.7-5.el6     

Is there anything to worry about here?

The sound issue is now fixed. The only other thing is noticed is that I now get a sort of pop or snap from the speakers when I close VLV while it is playing. If that is the worst it can do I can live with it..

Thanks again,

Ken
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Jul 18 2012, 08:38 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

QUOTE (taylorkh @ Jul 18 2012, 09:46 PM)

gstreamer-plugins-bad-free-0.10.19-2.el6.x86_64 has missing requires of libvpx.so.0()(64bit)
vlc-2.0.2-5.el6.x86_64 has missing requires of libfaad.so.2()(64bit)

Installing : libfaad2-2.7-5.el6.x86_64                                    1/1
  Verifying  : libfaad2-2.7-5.el6.x86_64                                    1/1

Installed:
  libfaad2.x86_64 0:2.7-5.el6     

Is there anything to worry about here?

The sound issue is now fixed. The only other thing is noticed is that I now get a sort of pop or snap from the speakers when I close VLV while it is playing. If that is the worst it can do I can live with it..

Thanks again,

Ken

You did right, but now you need to also install gstreamer-plugins-bad from the linuxtech-release repo (which includes a lot more codecs than the crippled RH/SL/Centos gstreamer-plugins-bad-free package), as the gstreamer-plugins-bad-free package from RH/SL/Centos expects the old libvpx-0.9 which now has been replaced with the newer libvpx-1.0

Basically do similar as you did for libvpx:
rpm -qa|grep gstreamer-plugins-bad (to find out which gstreamer-plugins-bad packages are installed)
and then:
rpm -e --nodeps gstreamer-plugins-bad-free (and any other gstreamer-plugins-bad packages found by the previous command)

Then reinstall the gstreamer-plugins-bad packages from linuxtech-release

After that you can run 'yum check' and it shouldn't find any problems anymore.

I now get a sort of pop or snap from the speakers when I close VLV while it is playing. If that is the worst it can do I can live with it..

I'm not sure what is causing that, I have never experienced it, maybe play with the Audio preferences of VLC or of Pulseaudio (assuming you using Pulseaudio) to see if that changes anything.

--------------------
PM
^
taylorkh
 Posted: Jul 19 2012, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Deja vous all over again. Tried your suggestion and got

So I installed the "bad" package from base while I considered the matter. It installed OK but broke yum check. It has been running at 100% CPU for the past 10 minutes. I am going to restore my pre-VLC upgrade Clonezilla snapshot and try again.

Ken
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Jul 19 2012, 01:42 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

QUOTE (taylorkh @ Jul 19 2012, 02:53 PM)
Deja vous all over again.  Tried your suggestion and got

Weird that shouldn't happen as you now have libvpx-1.0 installed or not anymore?

QUOTE (taylorkh @ Jul 19 2012, 02:53 PM)

So I installed the "bad" package from base while I considered the matter. It installed OK but broke yum check. It has been running at 100% CPU for the past 10 minutes. I am going to restore my pre-VLC upgrade Clonezilla snapshot and try again.

Well if you are starting from scratch then it would be easiest if you temporarily assign the same priority to the linuxtech-release repo as you have assigned to the Centos repo. This will enable yum to automatically replace gstreamer-plugins-bad-free and libvpx-0.9 from Centos with gstreamer-plugins-bad and libvpx-1.0 from linuxtech-release and the whole installation should go smoothly.
These problems are caused by the yum-priority plugin blocking yum from updating gstreamer-plugins-bad-free and libvpx.

If you don't want to even temporarily change the priority settings, then just uninstall libvpx and gstreamer-plugins-bad-free (which will also uninstall totem) before doing the installation of vlc (afterwards you can then reinstall gstreamer-plugins-bad and totem).

It is normal for 'yum check' to take quite a while as it does a complete check of all dependencies of all packages.

--------------------
PM
^
taylorkh
 Posted: Jul 19 2012, 04:36 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

I figured out that yum check without specifying a package checks the whole world so I did not actually break it. I started with my system before playing with the VLC update, not quite from scratch. Thanks Clonezilla! Then I did the following:

rpm -e --nodeps libvpx
rpm -e --nodeps faad2

I then tried to install VLC from your repo. All seemed well until I received:

Running rpm_check_debug
ERROR with rpm_check_debug vs depsolve:
libfaad.so.2()(64bit) is needed by vlc-2.0.2-5.el6.x86_64
vlc-1.1.13-1.el6.rf.x86_64 has missing requires of libfaad.so.2()(64bit)

So I installed faad2 from your repo

yum --enablerepo=linuxtech-release install faad2

and saw this again:
vlc-1.1.13-1.el6.rf.x86_64 has missing requires of libfaad.so.2()(64bit)

I then tried to install VLC from your repo again and it seems to have completed successfully.

Most importantly it works!

Thanks again,

Ken

p.s. Then of course I read your most recent post. I may backup and try that if I get motivated.

PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Jul 31 2012, 04:24 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

VLC 2.0.3 RPM packages for EL6 are now available in the linuxtech-testing repo.

The main change (apart from upstream bug fixes) is that now LIRC (Linux Infrared Remote Control) is enabled, therefore you can now control VLC with a suitable IR remote control.

If you test this new release then please provide feedback.

If no problems turn up I will push this into the linuxtech-release repo in about a week.

--------------------
PM
^
kenmorgan
 Posted: Aug 8 2012, 04:17 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 1782

I was very pleased to find this most helpful post. I read through it because I need to install the VLC player on my new CentOS 6.3 system. I previously ran Fedora (since Core1!), and installing VLC was very easy using the RPMFusion repositories. However, I understand this is not a good option for CentOS.

In post 1 of the link, tux99 provides a simple set of instructions that even I can follow:

su - root
cd /etc/yum.repos.d/
wget http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/release/linuxtech.repo
yum install vlc

I'd like to do this, but the three-page thread mentioned a few things that made me a bit cautious.

(1) The instructions use a third-party repository--tux99's own repo. This is discussed in the thread because of the danger of overwriting base packages.

(2) The thread also has some discussion of giving "priorities" to yum. I've never done this. I think this involves some kind of plugin?? Anyway, I don't know how to do it. However, here's a quote from tux99 in the thread that seems to imply that there is no need for setting repo "priorities." In fact, tux99 WANTS to overwrite two buggy base packages. So if I understand this correctly, I should NOT set any priorities.

There are two packages in the linuxtech-release repo that replace EL6 packages, gstreamer-plugins-bad replaces the gstreamer-plugins-bad-free from EL6 and libvpx-0.9.6 replaces the old libvpx-0.9.0 from EL6.

I agree with you that 3rd party packages should never overwrite or replace base packages and that's why I created linuxtech-backports.

But in the case of gstreamer-plugins-bad and libvpx I made exceptions because Redhat is almost completely ignoring bug reports with regards to audio/video packages...

Also both gstreamer-plugins-bad-free and libvpx are very marginal packages, IIRC no other official EL6 package uses them apart from totem so replacing them doesn't introduce any instability. With regards to totem I tested it extensively with my gstreamer-plugins-bad replacement package and found no problems.

QUESTION: Can I procede with tux99's simple instructions above without harming anything on my (brand new!) OS??

Thanks so much.

Ken

--------------------
Ken
CentOS 6
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
tux99
 Posted: Aug 8 2012, 06:27 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

QUOTE (kenmorgan @ Aug 8 2012, 06:17 PM)

QUESTION: Can I procede with tux99's simple instructions above without harming anything on my (brand new!) OS??

Define what you mean by "harming".

--------------------
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (5) 1 2 3 4 5  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll