> To remove or to not remove pulseaudio?, sound pulseaudio
igadoter
 Posted: Jul 2 2015, 02:05 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3337

Hi,

I need you advice, as I am running SL 6.4 I am interesting in your opinion is it better to remove pulseaudio from SL 6.4? I found this thread
disabling PulseAudio in SL6, how-to
so judging on it I am willing to remove pulseaudio, but maybe in SL 6.4 it is not as bad as it was in SL 6.1?
PMEmail Poster
^
helikaon
 Posted: Jul 3 2015, 08:21 AM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (igadoter @ Jul 2 2015, 02:05 PM)
Hi,

I need you advice, as I am running SL 6.4 I am interesting in your opinion is it better to remove pulseaudio from SL 6.4? I found this thread
disabling PulseAudio in SL6, how-to
so judging on it I am willing to remove pulseaudio, but maybe in SL 6.4 it is not as bad as it was in SL 6.1?

Hi,
on my R61 laptop i went from 6.0 to 6.6 (currently) and never had to change anything with regards to pulse audio.. so can't help.
You experience some troubles with it?

cheers,

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
igadoter
 Posted: Jul 3 2015, 10:49 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Thanks for reply,

No trouble, at this moment, except the behaviour of pulseaudio. When I start to play music in virtual console
CODE

$ mpg123 my_music.mp3

it is ok, I can hear music, but then when switching to another virtual console, it stops playing music, then when I switch back, I again can hear music. How to avoid this? Seems that process with mpg123 is being suspended.

The mpg123 is only example here. The same happens with vlc. Running xinit also stops playing music.
PMEmail Poster
^
igadoter
 Posted: Jul 3 2015, 12:32 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Thanks explaining,

Now I have new issue: seems that sound is blocked by suspended process. I still have somewhere running vlc,
started from console. Now, just at this moment, I started second instance of vlc,
to watch movie, (now I am on desktop), but there is no sound at all.

Are there no virtual mixers in pulseaudio, allowing to play different sources? Say, I am using oss on
Slackware, and oss provides 4 virtual mixers, which means that in the same time 4 different applications can use audio device.

It looks like pulseaudio is taking exclusive control over audio, allowing only one application to use audio.
Others application are reporting they are playing but no sound can be heard, it is some kind dummy audio.
I am working on it.
PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll