> eXtreme Graphics Innovation, Need Updated Drivers or a work around
dcatkin
 Posted: Sep 13 2013, 05:07 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1751

Output lspci

0f:00.0 VGA compatible controller: XGI Technology Inc. (eXtreme Graphics Innovation) Z7/Z9 (XG20 core)

Output lspci -k

0f:00.0 VGA compatible controller: XGI Technology Inc. (eXtreme Graphics Innovation) Z7/Z9 (XG20 core)
Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc Device 8580

Output lspci -v

0f:00.0 VGA compatible controller: XGI Technology Inc. (eXtreme Graphics Innovation) Z7/Z9 (XG20 core) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc Device 8580
Flags: 66MHz, medium devsel
BIST result: 00
Memory at ef000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=16M]
Memory at ee200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
I/O ports at 5000 [size=128]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
PM
^
JohnVV
 Posted: Sep 15 2013, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 1124

from a Ubuntu page ( found via Google search for " eXtreme Graphics Innovation")

CODE

su -
yum install xorg-x11-drv-sis

and set the driver to sis in the xorg.conf

Section "Device"

Driver          "sis"

EndSection

and if that dose not do it
you might have to downgrade xorg ( that is just a guess )
--- i have to for a antique nvidia gforce2 card
or install SL 5.9
PM
^
Zelus
 Posted: Oct 17 2013, 04:30 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 2765

I'm about a month late to help the original poster, but I'll put this here as it might help the next person to run into this issue.

I recently acquired a server box with an XGI Volari Z11M graphics chipset.
After installing SL 6.4, I found the output resolution wouldn't go higher than 1024x768, and the frame-rate was attrocious.

Interestingly, a SL 6.2 Live CD run with a much better frame-rate, but was still locked to 1024x768.

I did some digging in the Xorg log files and found that the auto-configuration was behaving very oddly. It was creating 4 devices, 4 monitors, and 4 screens. Each device was using a different driver, and all were attached to the same PCI address (didn't even know you could do that...).

I should note that this box only has a single VGA output, attached to a single monitor.

Running "X -configure" would produce a .conf file, but would error-out at the end of generation, stating that the number of screens created didn't match the number of devices.

Using the generated .conf as a starting point, I pared out all of the extra entries, leaving one device, one monitor, and one screen.

The question of which driver to use was a bit more difficult. This issue is compounded by the fact that SIS bought-out XGI.

The Xorg website says that the "sis" driver should be used for XGI chipsets, but the Z11M isn't listed. It also says that "xgi" is for much older chipsets, however the xgi driver's output in the log mentions Z11 as being compatible (not sure about Z11M). Mixed information.

Here's what I found:

XGI Driver - Awful framerate. Locked to 1024x768 at most. Xorg logs show that the driver is unable to properly retrieve the EDID. Also seems to fail to find the correct V_BIOS address? A few other errors.

SIS Driver - X fails. Logs show that the SIS driver was unable to find a compatible device at the specified address.

VESA Driver - Best so far. Locked to 1280x1024 at most. Good framerate, though xrandr reports it is refreshing at 0 Hz. Viewing the Xorg log shows that the driver IS able to see that the monitor is capable of a higher resolution, but for some reason fails to allow it as an option.

When ordering the box, I had no idea I'd spend three days troubleshooting the video output.

Another note: a Knoppix Live CD suffers problems as well. With the auto-configuration, the framerate is decent, but the maximum resolution is capped at 800x600.

I haven't had a chance to try Gentoo with this box, though I don't expect a good time if I did.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll