Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The Logical Volume Bear Trap, Installing SL7.3 to replace SL6.6
foxinsocks
 Posted: Aug 19 2017, 10:48 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 137

I'm considering moving on to SL7 (from SL6.6 - I know I can't just upgrade) and had imagined that, as on past occasions, I'd 'simply' reformat /boot, / and swap - (leaving /home well alone).

However ... today I took a look 'under the hood' and found that when I installed SL6x on my shiny new machine 3 years ago something in the process obviously went past me without me noticing or understanding: swap, / and /home each seem to be in individual Logical Volume Groups within a LV that occupies te .

Here is what is essentially in fstab (Sorry, I can't get any bigger spacing where it's needed.)
/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root / ext4
/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_home /home ext4
/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_swap swap swap

UUID=cdb901e6-4324-4a17-b035-235ba1a3d77d /boot ext4
UUID=D803-82B8 /boot/efi vfat
--------

sda1 is /boot/efi
sda2 is /boot
sda3 is lvm2 pv
according to GParted

How to proceed?
Is the least complicated way forward to simply backup /home (something I do twice a week, so that's no drama) and start from scratch, creating 'traditional' partitions as in the past? (Like I intended when I set this machine up three years ago.)
Can I install SL7 in the /boot and / partitions in the LV, or does that get complicated?
Are there other ways to achieve my SL7.3 install (which I'm planning to do with the LveDVDextra)?

Right now I'm trying to get my head around the Red Hat documentation on LVMs and LVM manual partitioning.

As always, any assistance will be appreciated
PMEmail Poster
^
burakkucat
 Posted: Aug 19 2017, 03:10 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (foxinsocks @ Aug 19 2017, 10:48 AM)

Is the least complicated way forward to simply backup /home (something I do twice a week, so that's no drama) and start from scratch, creating 'traditional' partitions as in the past?

That is what I would do, if I was in your situation.

Can I  install SL7 in the /boot and / partitions in the LV, or does that get complicated?

I suspect there will be complications. The default physical disk format is ext4 for SL6 and xfs for SL7.

--------------------
user posted image 100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.
PMUsers Website
^
foxinsocks
 Posted: Aug 19 2017, 09:39 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 137

QUOTE (burakkucat @ Aug 20 2017, 01:10 AM)
QUOTE (foxinsocks @ Aug 19 2017, 10:48 AM)

Is the least complicated way forward to simply backup /home (something I do twice a week, so that's no drama) and start from scratch, creating 'traditional' partitions as in the past?

That is what I would do, if I was in your situation.

Can I  install SL7 in the /boot and / partitions in the LV, or does that get complicated?

I suspect there will be complications. The default physical disk format is ext4 for SL6 and xfs for SL7.

Thanks, for your quick reply, burakkucat. Oh, yes, now you mention it, I did notice that change from ext4 to xfs while exploring SL7 and MATE desktop in kvm/qemu and vmplayer. Looks like my 'plan A' is the way to go. Thanks again, for your help. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll